• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My knife has a gap in the tang hole of the handle!

Gruzia

Hi, I originally posted my question in Japan forum but it was suggested that it may be better handled here.

I bought a left-handed traditional japanese knife - an usuba - while in Japan recently, of course in my excitement didn't properly check out the handle and upon coming home saw that there is a gap in the tang hole of the handle. Naturally, I was dismayed and worried that I made a bad purchase. Prawncarckers said that the only issue with the hole is hygiene and that I can fill it with resin. The question is - what type of resin?

Devcon 5 minute epoxy. Use very sparingly. Prawn is correct about the hygiene but also thinking long term, water will get down into the handle and rust the tang inside. In Japan they don't seal the handle because the handle is meant to be easily replaceable.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Devcon 5 minute epoxy.  Use very sparingly.  Prawn is correct about the hygiene but also thinking long term, water will get down into the handle and rust the tang inside.  In Japan they don't seal the handle because the handle is meant to be easily replaceable.

thank you!