• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

I believe that it is cheese. I saw a ham melt on a menu that was described as a sandwich "met en gesmolten kaas", which I gather is melted (molten) cheese.

I'll take some of those croquettes please.

Edited by LEdlund (log)

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Brouwer’s menu will offer the regions finest seasonal selections from mussels in hop court bullion to mouth watering kaas croquettes.

Anyone know what kaas is? I searched on google and only got a bunch of people named kaas and some dutch sites.

kaas is dutch for cheese. kaaskroket(en) are dutch/flemish cheese fritter(s)... think fried mozzerella but a lot yummier.

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

It is called Brouwer's Café, a Flemish Grand Café located at the center of the Universe, (35th & Phinney in Fremont) a unique restaurant with over forty taps, two hundred bottled beers, wine (yes, I said it) as well as a definitive list of spirits from the house aperitif to the after dinner scotch or grappa. Brouwer’s Café will offer it all, from mid-morning coffee and jazz to late night live music, pomme frites and beer. Brouwer’s menu will offer the regions finest seasonal selections from mussels in hop court bullion to mouth watering kaas croquettes.

My only question is: "can we make reservations now?" I love that kind of food, and the beer of course. Malarkey, do you know if they're planning to have some of the Trappist beers on tap? Probably a good thing it will in such an inconvenient location for me....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

The Seattle Diner on Aurora (where Denny's used to be) is boarded up.

The liquor license sign for Alexandria's, and any other activity in the space that was Falling Waters (on 2nd Ave), has disappeared. Cold feet?

• 3 weeks later...

A new speciality wine shop is coming soon to Kent. The Grape Adventure will feature wines from Washington, Oregon and Idaho, as well as a large selection of Ports and dessert wines, according to a sign in the window. It'll be located in the Lake Meridian shopping center, between Albertson's and Bartell Drugs (in the old Desert Sun location). No word on an opening date yet.

Stalk Exchange is gone. Sold everything off this weekend.

Tokyo Garden is locked.

New specialty shop opened on 45th in Wallingford - forgot the name already - south side of block, east of Wallingford. Food related. Just across from Bottleworks.

Tried Clara's, also on 45th. It really is a NW/Asian food for the soul place. I've never been to Hawaii, but any place serving slow cooked pork tossed with cabbage, sided with rice and macaroni slad must have island leanings. I'd go back to try the short ribs - Vashon Island grown - marinated and cooked on a grill. They looked great. Big portions, inexpensive. The place needs a bit more personality, but has a cool glass and fiber-optics back splash on the bar.

We tried Clara's a few weeks ago, and while it seemed nice, the food was only "eh". Had the pork, and the chicken katsu, and the cheesecake, and I truly don't remember much about the meal except that we thought it was overpriced for the lack of zing we had assumed there'd be, and that we didn't feel the need to go back again. But the servers were very nice, and it was a cute little joint.

Lola's opened. Tom Douglas' Greek place across from Dahlia Lounge. They comp'ed my meal last night - free food, my favorite, especially when not expected. Nice looking menu (designed for sharing?), beautiful leather booths, clean lined decor (not quite completed), Ouzo.

Just had a light supper, but a real rave for the goat cheese pie (all the desserts were slightly unusual.) A little filo on the outside edge, a dense, yet light cheesecake like wedge of pie accompanied by orange caramel suce and fresh ripe (local) strawberrries. Oh yeah.

Looking forward to trying the Greek yogurt ice cream with fresh berries. They also listed doughnuts, turnovers, chocolate tart, and more.

The liquor license sign for Alexandria's, and any other activity in the space that was Falling Waters (on 2nd Ave), has disappeared. Cold feet?

Alexandria's on 2nd opens 7/15. They're billing it as "upscale" southern cuisine with "signature cocktails." Chef is Michael Franklin. Sounds familiar.

I had heard that the guy who is opening the place also owns a restaurant by the same name in Cleveland.

Would love to see a first bite report of this place.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

New owners taking over at several Seattle favorites

New owners at Chez Shea, Luau Polynesian Lounge, Noble Court, and A New York Pizza Place among others.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Was craving some fried chicken, fried okra and greens the other day, so called La Louisiana to check their hours and doggone-it if they aren't closed. The number's disconnected and Citysearch has a "closed" marked across their page.

Does anyone know anything about this? We really enjoyed this place :sad:

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Was craving some fried chicken, fried okra and greens the other day, so called La Louisiana to check their hours and doggone-it if they aren't closed. The number's disconnected and Citysearch has a "closed" marked across their page.

Oh man!

1) I never got there

2) I have a restaurant.com gift certificate that I bought for them.

Sheesh.

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

La Louisiana is still open. I ate there for lunch on Thursday and dinner on Friday last week. They were full on Friday night. I also could find no phone number for them last week. I chalked it up to the 411 operator's cluelessness.

Edit: I happen to have their card in my pocket (forgot that I grabbed one)!! Phone number is 329-5007.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

La Louisiana is still open.  I ate there for lunch on Thursday and dinner on Friday last week.  They were full on Friday night.  I also could find no phone number for them last week.  I chalked it up to the 411 operator's cluelessness.

Edit:  I happen to have their card in my pocket (forgot that I grabbed one)!!  Phone number is 329-5007.

Well, that's a relief. I guess I know better than to trust Citysearch's information.....However, I dialed the phone number and it's still out of service. Maybe they've changed numbers and haven't updated the cards.

Anyway, thanks Ms Ramsey, for proving my report wrong. I look forward to more good eats soon.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Alexandria's on 2nd opens 7/15. They're billing it as "upscale" southern cuisine with "signature cocktails." Chef is Michael Franklin. Sounds familiar.

I had heard that the guy who is opening the place also owns a restaurant by the same name in Cleveland.

Would love to see a first bite report of this place.

Tuesday night, 80 degrees outside, this place was already open. The "dining out" crowd was all dressed up - dresses, suits and ties! Upscale - entrees with sides $12.95 - $44.95 (surf and turf.) Nope, didn't go in - underdressed and overwhelmed by the idea of southern fried cooking. There was little that didn't appear fried. Pretty traditional looking menu.

Tsquare, thanks for the report!! It sounds exactly like I pictured it. Ok people, I think a field trip might be in our future...

I have some very very sad news to report, but it may not be a shocker to my fellow South King County diners. A La Turca Grill and Cafe in Fairwood (Renton plateau) is gone!! In its place: a Thai joint called Fairwood Thai. Ugh.

I know the owners of a La Turca had been having trouble and I think Tighe reported that he had a weird experience on his last visit there, but I had hopes that they would make it. The food was very decent Middle Eastern/Turkish (loved that thick-as-mud-Turkish coffee). Sigh.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

I have some very very sad news to report, but it may not be a shocker to my fellow South King County diners. A La Turca Grill and Cafe in Fairwood (Renton plateau) is gone!! In its place: a Thai joint called Fairwood Thai. Ugh.

I know the owners of a La Turca had been having trouble and I think Tighe reported that he had a weird experience on his last visit there, but I had hopes that they would make it. The food was very decent Middle Eastern/Turkish (loved that thick-as-mud-Turkish coffee). Sigh.

That is sad, though not surprising. I loved the place when I first started going, but on my last visit it seemed to be in a death spiral, and I hadn't been back.

The menu was a little bit of a minefield, but their best items were exceptional. Now I'm really going to have to figure out how to make manti for myself.

I'm still waiting/praying for someone to open a truly great Turkish restaurant in Seattle....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Today I lunch I spotted what looked to be a new Tacos Guyamas with a sunny patio on Harborsteps (downtown). I was initially excited, as there are not enough good inexpensive takeout places downtown (also, I like their salsa bar). Closer inspection revealed it is a Guyamas Cantina, part of the chain but will a full bar and sit down service only (well, they probably would do take out, but you don't just order at the counter like at the rest of the chain).

I saw that in Nancy's column and had high hopes for another quick option - sit down? Maybe not.

Now what I really want to check out is Crow's - the new place on 5th near the Ruins - that she wrote about. That area is so lacking - though the Greek place (never can recall the name) isn't bad and I kind of like the bbq place, Steel Pig (?)

She also mentioned Puck's Cafe becoming an all-you-can eat Brazilian place - roving meats.

On the corner of 45th and Wallingford (where Seattle's Best Coffee used to be) there are signs in the window for Wonder Bar. It looked like a liquor application hanging on the door. Sounds promising, although parking sucks around there. Good thing I am walking distance.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

What's hapening down the block (West) across the street? There is a building with major renovation work happening and some elaborate steel railings and staircase. Across from the library...and have you walked into the specialty food store across from Bottleworks yet? What are they selling?

On the corner of 45th and Wallingford (where Seattle's Best Coffee used to be) there are signs in the window for Wonder Bar.

Is this the place that burned down last night?

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera