• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

We've been watching them do construction and wondering. Madison Valley is going to become the Rue Francaise. There's a sign up promising a "bistrot" where Gitano used to be

The "Voila!" sign has gone up. The exclamation point seems presumptuous.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I was at the Essential Bakery on Madison this morning, and noticed a business going in next door called Rue de Lyon. The staff at Essential think it might be a new restaurant. Does anyone know?

Anita and I looked in on the Rue de Lyon this morning on our way to Essential. Based on the layout, our guess is salon or spa, not restaurant.

i play the rock. you shake the booty.

• 2 weeks later...

On Pike, between 1st and 2nd, Johny Rockets - hamburger joint is underway. I'm surprised - this is a chain, yes?

On 45th in Wallingford, next to the teahouse, recently opened, a place named "(I can't remember), Food for the Soul". I hear it may be pretty good - NW with a Japanese flair.

On Pike, between 1st and 2nd, Johny Rockets - hamburger joint is underway. I'm surprised - this is a chain, yes?

yes, and an odd one at that. there's one in U Village. We've tried it, but what's weird to me is they bring you your french fries first, then your hamburger comes later. :huh:

its not bad, but I wouldn't say its the best in town.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Johnny Rockets is slowly infiltrating....there's also one on level 4 at Pacific Place. It's definitely not the best in town--I'd go to Dick's first if I had the choice, and I'm not a native with fond Dick's memories. The one at U Village underwhelmed me--too greasy, bad service, fries before burger as malarky mentioned. It's not horrid, just not good enough to seek out.

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Hollywood Burger Co. on Broadway is closed (no great loss). In the seven years we've lived in Seattle we've seen that storefront change more than any other one on Broadway. Saddest demise was Ezo Noodles. What will come next?

Ali Baba on Broadway opened in this space on Saturday. I had an okay falafel sandwich. They have a standard Middle Eastern menu.

When we first moved to Seattle in 1996, there was a Johnny Rocket's on Broadway (between Mercer and Republican, where there's now an Indian restaurant). It closed up several years ago.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

2 new updates on the MadValley front:

- Voila! is now open for business. We almost went in last night, but (despite the eG props we could have garnered) we didn't feel up to a full-on French meal.

- Rue de Lyon (next to Essential) is definitely not looking like a food establishment. I'm voting for spa/salon, or perhaps euro-tchotchke shop. (Like we need more of those.) They were putting out tony gewgaws into console tables on Monday when we walked by. :rolleyes:

~Anita

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I'm not fond of chains, not fond of Johnny Rockets, but I say 'Kudos' to any business starting up in that notorious drug block on Pike. Maybe their singing will scare the dealers away!

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Voila! is now open for business. We almost went in last night, but (despite the eG props we could have garnered) we didn't feel up to a full-on French meal.

Would you happen to have a phone number, or know how late they're open tonight?

206/322-5460, but there was no answer whenI just called.

I also managed to dig this up:

Taste of the Town 2/18

I'm not sure how I missed it the first time around...

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Rumor mongering - a whisper only - Tom D - heading for #4? And a cooking school facility.

He is opening a banquet space around the corner from Dahlia AND has signed a lease on the space across the street on 4th in the renovated hotel! Wow.

Wally's is the location of the place I can't quite remember the name of "Food for the Soul". It sounds like the chef, Wayne ?, knows what he is doing.

I drove by last night, I think it's Carla's Food for the Soul. Malarkey said it was NW with a japanese flair. Doesn't that name ring odd for that?

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I imagine I'm going to get beaten about the head and neck for this, but what the Hell....

I've been hearing ads on the radio for a new place called Kurry King (be gentle) that sounds kind of intriguing to a curry fan like myself. I did a search and found this blurb from January in the PI:

In Georgetown, look for Kurry King (5503 Airport Way S.; 206-767-8075) to begin dishing up quick-service curry and "nothing but curry" from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, in the very near future. Or so we think. The outside signs are lit. The steam table line is in place, as is a phone, fax machine and register. All we need now is the curry and someone who answers the phone.

Has anyone been there by chance and is it at all possible that a place with a name like this could actually be good?

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I am really missing Grapes, the wine bar that used to be in Ballard...closed in December...It was a fine spot for wine, cheese (oh, the brie...) and salads... *sigh*

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

I'm missing a place I never even went to. Before we went to Issaquah last weekend, I searched the PNW board for mentions of good food there and found a mention of FarFar's, the ice cream place where you could get durian shakes. In looking up the address, I found news stories reporting that it had burned down in January! Supposedly they are going to rebuild--anyone know specifics?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I am really missing Grapes, the wine bar that used to be in Ballard...closed in December...It was a fine spot for wine, cheese (oh, the brie...) and salads... *sigh*

Have you tried Portalis, which is just down the street from where Grapes used to be? It's wonderful. Funky, warm atmosphere. Extremely knowledgable staff. Limited food selection but what they do have is quite good. I could make it a regular hang out.

I think I heard of this a while back, then forgot about it...thanks for the reminder! What kind of food do they have?

What kind of food do they have?

The have a meat and cheese platter, a gratin, a pate, that type of thing. Oh, and chocolate truffles! I wished they offered small salads but they said that not enough people order them and they ended up throwing away a lot of lettuce. All the food is made on site.

Thanks, I'll check it out! I'm surprised that they say that salads don't sell...at Grapes, they were one of the main attractions. But then, they used liberal dabs of Bleu D'auvergne (sp?) or the stunning Brie de Mieux, caramelized walnuts, dried cranberries and a lovely vinaigrette on theirs, making them something really special.

I'm missing a place I never even went to. Before we went to Issaquah last weekend, I searched the PNW board for mentions of good food there and found a mention of FarFar's, the ice cream place where you could get durian shakes. In looking up the address, I found news stories reporting that it had burned down in January! Supposedly they are going to rebuild--anyone know specifics?

Oh, it is so sad that this place burned down!

I'm going to check around because it's been awhile since I heard anything. It was such a tragic thing.

Here's a link to our discussion on Far Far's from, like, years ago :hmmm:a link about durian shakes

and another link about Far Far's and durian ice cream

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Thanks, I'll check it out! I'm surprised that they say that salads don't sell...at Grapes, they were one of the main attractions. But then, they used liberal dabs of Bleu D'auvergne (sp?) or the stunning Brie de Mieux, caramelized walnuts, dried cranberries and a lovely vinaigrette on theirs, making them something really special.

Now that's the kind of salad I really enjoy...something beyond the normal fare. When I pop in for lunch at Matts' in the Market, I really like their salad with the sunflower seeds.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Chopstix is not unlike any other upscale corny theme bar (think Hard Rock Cafe or Cowgirls, Inc.)

Speaking of Cowgirls, Inc., I just heard that one opened in Pioneer Square.