• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bistro Ole in Asbury Park

Ate here recently and had a fantastic meal. It is a Spanish/Portuguese restuarnt and BYOB. The dining room is lovely and the owner is very nice and a real hoot. Had (finally!) very good empanada's and outstanding mariscada verdhe, a heaping stew of scallops, shrimp, clams, mussels, and a large lobster tail all in an excellent broth of cilantro. A steal at $25. It was difficult to choose our entree from the many delicious sounding plates, ranging from pork to steak to fish ad seafood dishes, all reasonably priced. They made very good sangria with the wine we brought (for $8) and the flan for dessert, while expensive ($10) was huge and more than enough for two. Total including tax and tip was about $90, a deal in my book. I would highly recommend this place.

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Friends who hang in Asbury Park each summer have taken me here, and I have to agree...great food, fun vibe. It's always packed when I've been there-even off-season (but always on a Sat. night). The dish that I immediately thought of is the Firecracker (iirc) Calamari; served in a hot skillet, and VERY spicy but I loved it! The caldo verde was decent, too-and a Portuguese guy who was with us enjoyed it as well.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

The only time we managed to get in was at 5:30, and it filled up FAST. It was too long ago to remember what we had, but I recall large portions of really good food, and outstanding friendly service. I think I will give it another go. After Labor Day though.