• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Four wines

Florida Jim

2006 Edmunds St. John, Gamay Rosé Bone Jolly:

Tonight, Diane and I sat out in the back yard on an atypical cool and windy evening here in Florida. As is often the case when there’s wine involved, the conversation turned to the essential things; family, relationships, friends and our sense of the world. Good talk, over good wine.

We solved none of the world’s problems; we missed our chance to be famous and we have no idea what the meaning of life is – but (isn’t that a lovely word?), we enjoyed each other’s company, our surroundings and the ways of our dogs – and a nice rosé. I hope that your next bottle will be shared as well.

1996 Domaine de la Louvetrie, Muscadet Fief du Breuil (magnum):

All one could want of 12 year old Muscadet; toast, lemon curd, minerals, sea air and a roundness not found in younger wines; this is full in the mouth but with plenty of cut, taut balance and more length than could be reasonably expected. Over the course of the evening, it opened into shades of its primary scents and flavors but always retained a precision and freshness. Has many years in the cellar to peak but was wonderful accompaniment to simply grilled fish. I wish I had more.

Thanks Phillip.

2005 Steele, Pinot Noir Santa Barbara:

A “little wine” that gives the impression it was whole-cluster fermented; a stemmy, light cherry, clean nose with flavors that follow and add some black cherry and a mineral tinge; smooth and round, decent acidity and good balance. Not for those who like big pinots or want them to act like syrah. 13.5% alcohol.

2003 Dom. Tempier, Bandol La Tourtine:

Opened with trepidation and only to see if I wanted to buy more, this was much more open and expressive than expected; blackberries, meat, stone and a unsweetened baker’s chocolate; flavors of black and red fruit with a strong coffee note, fleshy and resolute in the mouth with excellent concentration, fine grained tannins, good balance and a very long, mouth-coating, albeit drying, finish. More to my taste than the ’03 La Migoua tried last week. Superb wine but truly, one for the cellar.

And, for those keeping score, no overt evidence of the heat of the vintage.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com