• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Bit of Le Pichet...

I finally ate at Le Pichet this last weekend. I had a great time, but I still really have not truly eaten there.

A friend and I had good intentions of making it from Tini Bigs (where we paid too much for decent drinks) to Capitol Hill for a good night of Cap Hill bar hopping. We figured that we should stop somewhere on the way for another round of drinks. Realizing I was in Belltown on first, I steered our path to coincide with Le Pichet. We sat at the bar and asked the jovial bartender what the beer situation was. He repied that he had bottles of Red Chimay and a nice Alsacean (spelling) pale ale in a big bottle. Being fresh out of college, we chose the big bottle. I was already a bit clouded so I dont remember the name of the beer, but it was excelent and the whole bottle was $12! Lightly hopped, smooth and somewhat crisp is what I remember. My companion was also impressed.

Soon I realized that I was in Le Pichet and that I was not eating anything. I fixed this quandry by ordering a little snacking food. We had the Baguette with butter and the roasted almonds with coarse sea salt. The Baguette was a little more rustic than I was expecting, but still very tasty. The almonds were very nice as well. Not too salty and very flavorful, it was just what I needed.

After polishing of the beer and stumbling off of our stools, we left happy and still on our way to Capitol Hill. Tragedy soon struck...we got some crazy idea in our heads that stopping at the Night Light and getting a Long Island Iced Tea was a really good idea. I was about a third finished with mine and realized that drinking any more would be a very bad thing. My companion, who has the tolerance of an elephant, polished his off, but soon lost his navigational ability.

New Rule for Ben- Night Light Long Islands should either be avoided or only consumed as a first drink of the evening.

After giving up on our Long Islands, we got a call from Katie, who we were supposed to be meeting on the Hill after she got out of the Bob Dylan concert. Aparently, Bob had no opening band and the show was over in time for the geezer to get to bed by 10...weak. We then walked to the Lava lounge to watch some shuffleboard while waited for Katie. Aparently the lava lounge shuffleboard scene is off the hook! We were on our way out when it started to get wild and the participants took their shirts off.

So we didn't make it to Capitol Hill, but in every other sense our evening was a success. In any case, I will be returning to Le Pichet in the near future for a real meal. I cant wait!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I was about a third finished with mine and realized that drinking any more would be a very bad thing.  My companion, who has the tolerance of an elephant, polished his off, but soon lost his navigational ability.

New Rule for Ben- Night Light Long Islands should either be avoided or only consumed as a first drink of the evening.

Kids these days! Soft, I tell ya....

Why, in my day, we'd top off a night of drinking with 4 or 5 Long Island Ice Teas, and then crawl home on our lips....uphill,....through the snow, and then go to work the next day! And we liked it! In fact we loved it!

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

The charcuterie platter is a bargain at $10 (at least it was on my last visit) and easily feeds two and maybe three light eaters. It's freakin awesome. The last time I was there (June or July?) I got the chicken liver terrine ($7, I think?) and it was fantastic. I think I ate a loaf of the bread myself between the terrine and with the salt cod app I stole from my dining pal. I love that place. I still haven't had the roasted chicken though. Next time....

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

What is the correct pronunciation of charcuterie.

My best phonetic approximation: shar-koot'-uh-ree

Yes, it is the French word for sliced cured meats....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

charcuterie (pronounced "shar-KU-tuh-ree" it believe) is a pork butcher or shop. Maybe you mean "choucroute" (pronounced shoo-kroot)? Choucroute is a mixture of meats and sausage, usually all pork, cooked in, and served with, sauerkraut. Steingarten has a brilliant and hillarious chapter about his search for "authentic" choucroute in his book "The Man Who Ate Everything". Here's a recipe.

When we had our egullet dinner at Le Pichet, I remember thinking the charcuterie platter was the least impressive of the appetizers for me, and had the least *wow* factor. I remember really liking the house pate, but the 2 types of salami slices didn't do much for me, and whatever else that was sliced and cold (tongue I think). I would just get the pate if possible and skip the salamis. I liked the hot appetizers much better.

I am still a bit wierded out by odd cold dishes. I think it is due to my fear of cold salads that I was forced against my will to eat at things like church picnics. I do, however love salami and cured meats of that nature.

I love foie gras, but have only had it in hot preperations. I have yet to sample any kind of pate...hold me, I am affraid! hehehe.

I think I will just bite the bullet and go for it.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I am still a bit wierded out by odd cold dishes.  I think it is due to my fear of cold salads that I was forced against my will to eat at things like church picnics.  I do, however love salami and cured meats of that nature.

I love foie gras, but have only had it in hot preperations.  I have yet to sample any kind of pate...hold me, I am affraid! hehehe.

I think I will just bite the bullet and go for it.

Ben

Ben, you absolutey need to try pate, and I mean soon. Nothing to be afraid of! It's very very good with crusty country bread or baguette. It's best to get the good stuff, though, not the stuff that comes in a small crock that I don't like as well. I buy it by the slice at Admiral Thriftway (it's great on a picnic or as an appetizer before dinner). I also like the pate at Cafe Campagne and remember buying some to go when they used to have their deli case.

As for salami, I also love it, and the salami at Le Pichet was very good. However I tend to more associate it with picnic fare or something I would have at home and their other choices appeal more to me.

It looks like you can learn how to make the famous roasted chicken, for a $12 entry fee at the Washington State Trade and Convention Center event: "Seattle Cooks" November 8-10 (4th annual - never been, don't know anything about the event except what is on line.)

Saturday, November 9th

10:30am Jim Drohman of Le Pichet "Roasted Chicken"

I've been to Seattle Cooks twice and thought it sucked. It reminded me of the Exhibition Hall at the Puyallup Fair where there are too many people crammed in too small of a space selling crappy kitchen stuff you don't really need (but without the smell of cow poo nearby). Maybe it's changed, I haven't gone for a few years. The cookbook authors and chef demos were worthy, but not worth the admission alone simply because you can see these chefs and authors at a ton of other FREE events. The cooking demos were pretty much standing room only and the sound wasn't all that great. I'd probably skip the whole thing unless I got free tix.

As for Le Pichet's charcuterie, that is indeed what they call it. It's a selection of cured meats, which I love love love love love! Of course, I love pate too. In fact, I love everything at Le Pichet. Yummy yummy yummy and affordable for poor peeps like me :)

And for the record, I love choucroute too and pretty much anything else with sauerkraut on it. Yum.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

• 2 months later...

Making plans for dinner at Le Pichet tomorrow night, with some friends, before Sing-along Sound of Music--I am looking forward to delicious food. And perhaps some wine to put us in a slightly tipsy mood.

Question for you: Has anyone been down to Le Pichet for breakfast? I noticed they open at 8 a.m. I am curious as to whether they bake their own pastries, or if not, where they come from. Of course a Pichet baguette and butter, with coffee, would be a pretty fabulous breakfast.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I have been to Le Pichet once for breakfast, but not for quite a while. I had baguette and pate. The pastries weren't listed on the menu, and from where I was sitting, I could not see the pastries (they were behind the bar :blink: ). When someone who knew something ordered a croissant or brioche or some such thing, I was bummed that I hadn't known they were available. The pastries looked great, but I don't know who makes them.

A steady stream of people came through the door as I was sitting there. When told that there was no conventional breakfast menu (no egg dishes, for example), they promptly left. I think Le Pichet finally thought better of it and now has some sort of egg dish on the breakfast menu. I keep meaning to go back and try it. Care to join me? :smile:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

If the egg dish that you are referring to is their Ouefs Plats, you will be hardpressed to find a better egg dish around.

So this is the one they now serve in the morning/daytime? Will you please describe the Oeufs Plats?

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

This'll do it:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/99262_eggs11.shtml

I'd also vote for Cafe Campagne's poached eggs with Fois Gras!

Thank you!!

And the poached eggs with foie gras sounds amazing! Will definitely try it soon.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Sure. The dish is simply a slice of ham in a buttered dish. Then two eggs on top with lots of gruyere. They toss the thing under the salamander til the cheese is melted and the eggs are just set. Then salt and pepper. It'll blow yer mind! That dish is on the all day menu. I would guess that it is also served early as well. I know I have ordered it for lunch before. Breakfast . . . never been.

"I'd also vote for Cafe Campagne's poached eggs with Fois Gras!"

"Thank you!! And the poached eggs with foie gras sounds amazing! Will definitely try it soon."

I left out the word" sauce". But served with pomme frites!

Edited by tsquare (log)