• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Between Fountain Valley and LAX

Robin Meredith

I'm visiting LA from NY next week. I have a meeting in Fountain Valley that should wrap up around 4:00, and I'm taking a red eye home from LAX around 10:00. So the question is, can I squeeze in a great dining experience during that period? I have a rental car, so I can get around, and I have no problem with bar dining. Are there any great LA restaurants that make sense geographically and that I can get into as a solo diner with no reservations?

Any suggestions you can share will be greatly appreciated!

Robin, I can think of a couple of LA restaurants and an OC restaurant as well.

From Fountain Valley, drive a few miles east (not west for the moment) to South Coast Plaza (a huge shopping center) and a place called Marche Moderne, if you're into French food. Marche Moderne is located on the third floor where Nordstorm's dept. store is. There's a separate discussion thread about this restaurant. Arguably the best restaurant in Orange County, California.

However, if you want to be close to LAX (just in case), Melisse on Wilshire Blvd. (11th) in Santa Monica is one of the best restaurants in the LA area. Two-star Michelin restaurant, if that concerns you. There's also Joe's Restaurant on Abbot Kinney in Venice. Finding free street parking is an adventure.

There also is a discussion thread that covers Santa Monica, Venice, Culver City, and the Westside.

I hope this helps.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Second Marche Modern. Nice bar for solo dining and a great little patio for outdoor dining. Ample shopping to cruise after or before dinner depending on your timing.

That drive back up will be hellish and I would recommend waiting until after traffic-ish. Say post 7 pm or later. without traffic its about a 45 minute hike.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

You could also get some terrific Vietnamese in some of the local establishments in the Westminster area which is right next door to FV. There is a huge Viet population that calls the area home, its known as the Village and a ton of great cheap spots. You could also grab some bahn mi sandwiches to go for your flight and skip the awful airplane food.

Let me know if you want a few recs.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

You guys are great!

Marche Moderne was a superb recommendation - I had to drop off colleagues at the Orange County airport, so I was practically right there. Food was excellent (roe-on bay scallops with black trumpet mushrooms and black truffle emulsion, veal cheeks with mashed potatoes, arugula, and bacon), wines by the glass were well chosen and in excellent condition, and the bar was very comfortable. Plus, by the time I left for the airport the traffic had dissipated so I had clear sailing all the way in.

Thanks for your help.

You guys are great!

Marche Moderne was a superb recommendation - I had to drop off colleagues at the Orange County airport, so I was practically right there.  Food was excellent (roe-on bay scallops with black trumpet mushrooms and black truffle emulsion, veal cheeks with mashed potatoes, arugula, and bacon), wines by the glass were well chosen and in excellent condition, and the bar was very comfortable.  Plus, by the time I left for the airport the traffic had dissipated so I had clear sailing all the way in.

Thanks for your help.

Glad you had a nice experience!