• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canadian Wines

GordonCooks

One of may favorite Toronto restaurants in Avalon. Chef Chris MacDonald features a tasting menu paired with indigenious wines. One of the most memorable food-wine pairings was a Caribou chop, roasted fennel, and demi paired with a Baco Noir. When in canada - I order Italian, French, and Canadian wines exclusively because of the price.

I enjoy Canadian chards, late harvest reislings, cab francs - I think they are a great value.

I have always had a great fondness for Candian ice wines (especially Iniskilin), but now that I think about it, I'm not really sure what kind of grape they come from. I want to say chenin blanc but that doesn't sound right to me.

I've had a number of Okanagan wines and have been quite happy with them. They've been around for about 10 years and they're really getting their act together.

My favorite is Red Rooster, from Naramata. They have a good Chardonay, a decent Pinot Noir and their own blend that's inexpensive and highly poundable. And since it gets nice and chilly up there, almost every winery I visited had a last-harvest or ice wine, all of which were pretty tasty but tended to be more than the $10 to $18 CDN I was spending on everything else.

I live in Seattle and I vastly prefer the Canadian wines to the Washington wines which are 2x to 6x more expensive and not nearly as complex.