• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Singular Restaurant Dishes of 2007

Morgan_Weber

As December speeds out of control to the New Year, I found myself fondly thinking back to the fine meals I had throughout 2007. If you were going to create a best of the best, 5 or 9-course tasting menu comprised of specific dishes that shined during your meals in 2007, what would it look like?

As December speeds out of control to the New Year, I found myself fondly thinking back to the fine meals I had throughout 2007.  If you were going to create a best of the best, 5 or 9-course tasting menu comprised of specific dishes that shined during your meals in 2007, what would it look like?

Mine:

Cocktail:

Galapagos-Pisco, Black Pepper Simple Syrup, Grapefruit Juice, Lime Juice and Kaffir Lime Leaf. From the Absinthe Bar & Brasserie in San Francisco, CA

Amuse Bouche:

Bleu Cheese with Texas Honeycomb and Cracker. From T'afia, Houston, TX

Course One:

Hickory-smoked swordfish sashimi with sweet corn blintz, herbed cream and Louisiana paddlefish roe. From Restaurant August, New Orleans, Louisiana

Course Two:

Yellow fin tuna sashimi, with Fuji apples, fresh Texas Chevre, pumpkinseed oil, and greens. From Uchi, Austin, TX

Course Three:

Thai marinated lobster with avocado, mango, and hearts of palm. From Cyrus, Healdsburg, CA

Course Four:

Salt-cured torchon of foie gras, with shortbread biscuits, and blood orange compote. From Cyrus, Healdsburg, CA

Course Five:

Louisiana Cochon with turnips, cabbage, and cracklins. Cochon, New Orleans, Louisiana

Course Six:

Venison. From Craft, Dallas, TX

Course Seven:

Slow-braised kobe beef short rib with candied cipolini, cauliflower and purple plum reduction. From Restaurant August, New Orleans, Louisiana

Course Eight:

Freshly-popped kettle corn, with kettle corn sorbet, chocolate, and caramel sauce. From Cyrus, Healdsburg, CA

Course Nine:

Passionfruit tart. From Bouchon, Yountville, California

Edited by Morgan_Weber (log)