• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for LA restaurants to work...

Colleen

Greetings Egullet viewers,

I was hoping to gather some suggestions as to what restaurants in the Los Angeles area are beneficial for a person who is looking for a positive work environment. Restaurants and hotels alike are welcome in suggestions. I believe that a conducive learning environment is also important.

For example, I am searching for places such as The Four Seasons, Bev Hills, and at the same time, Wilshire Restaurant in Santa Monica.

Although I do live in the Pasadena area, a commute is not a problem. Thank you very much for your time and attention.

Man who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth must wait very, very long time. - Old Chinese Proverb

Colleen,

How do you define a "positive work environment"? You say that you're a recent culinary graduate. Have you asked around your culinary school, your instructors, your classmates, etc.? What kind of restaurant are you thinking of? Independent high-end? Local neighborhood? And what kind of cuisine? New American? Oh, I see you mentioned the Four Seasons & Wilshire Restaurant. Have you been to both places? If you haven't, I would suggest that you do some research, by going to those places you would like to work at, as a regular diner, several times. Is there a high turnover at that restaurant? Is there a certain chef you want to work under and learn from? Do you have a goal or a dream? Start your own restaurant? How big? 50 covers? 100? 200?

Pardon the inquisition, Colleen. These are just a few questions that I hope you've at least asked yourself and/or thought about, as well as other questions.

Have you considered the Ritz-Carlton, Huntington? I know chef Craig Strong is a very good chef. Mind you, that particular Ritz-Carlton got sold to new owners and I don't know what plans the new owners may have regarding the restaurants there ... :unsure:

If you can give a little more info, others might be able to help you out.

And good luck in your search!!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

RJWong,

Thank you for your insight. I have also heard about the Ritz Carlton Huntington changing hands but do not know where they plan to go next with them. The reason that I didn't put too much information was because I didn't know too many would respond. As for a "positive work environment", I mean a crew that is inspired and respects their Chef in a way that does not result in negative reinforcement.

My career goals are to, way down the line, be a Chef Instructor, and for that I do require all the various types of venues to learn from, that is why from hotel to independently owned restaurants are both good opportunities. Right now, I would like fresh ingredients and simply great tasting food.

I realize that places such as Providence are on the up and up, however, that kind of trendiness is not so much my style. I'm looking for good food and working with good people.

I hope this helps, thanks again for your reply.

Edited by Colleen (log)

Man who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth must wait very, very long time. - Old Chinese Proverb

Colleen, just in case you may not know.

Two sources of information you should become familiar with are:

Los Angeles Times Food Section. It comes out every Wednesday and it's one of the few reasons I read the LA Times. Russ Parsons is one of the food writers and he posts on eGullet regularly.

LA Weekly. It comes out every Thursday, and Jonathan Gold is the first and only Pulitzer Prize-winning food critic, period. And he lives in New York Los Angeles ... Check out his restaurant list called "Gold's 99" or something like that. On that list includes not only the high-end places but also the local neighborhood places as well. Lots of ethnic restaurants too.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

• 2 weeks later...

i think there are some independent restaurants that aren't necessarily high end, but that might give your resume a boost: pizzeria mozza and anything else run by nancy silverton might be a good thing, anywhere run by wolfgang puck still has some cachet. i do think you're on the right track by wanting to work in a hotel as well which offers you a completely different perspective in the food industry.

while i understand that Providence might not be your preference due to its perceived molecular gastronomy leanings...it might still be somewhere you can learn quite a bit. i don't know the chef but check his background to see if you can reconcile his education and experience with what he is doing now...that might help you make a decision because high-end dining is definitely another important area to excel in.