• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Decorating lavender truffles

Lior

Hi. I am looking for a finishing touch for my truffles-lavender ganache. I want a kind of swirl that "drips" down the truffle a bit. Like a tail. Then I thought top it with a lavender flower on top. Anyone know the technique for a tail?!

Thanks!

Edited by Lior (log)

Hi. I am looking for a finishing touch for my truffles-lavender ganache. I want a kind of swirl that "drips" down the truffle a bit. Like a tail. Then I thought top it  with a lavender flower on top. Anyone know the technique for a tail?!

Thanks!

I can't picture this, is there a photo online somewhere?

I can picture what you're looking for but it is hard to describe in text. You're talking about a swirl of chocolate on top that trails over the edge and hangs down the side right? I would assume that you would do the standard swirl with the fork (or your finger if you're hand-coating them) and move to the side letting the chocolate "strand" follow and then drape it down the side. It would have to be thick enough to not just meld into the other chocolate though, of course I'm not a chocolate expert so maybe that isn't a factor.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Dip with your fingers: having coated your round truffle centre in couverture, hold it in your first two fingers and thumb and place it on an acetate sheet ... as you let go twirl your three fingers round in the air just above the truffle letting the drips form your desired swirls.

Keep practising, it does work (eventually), and becomes less messy and really fast.

I can't wait to try! Do I keep having to clean off my hands? Thank you so very much!

And you can use Nitrile gloves - better than latex as they are hypoallergenic (I think)

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I can't wait to try! Do I keep having to clean off my hands? Thank you so very much!

And you can use Nitrile gloves - better than latex as they are hypoallergenic (I think)

Don't know if they are hypoallergenic, but not a lot of people are allergic to nitrile, lots are to latex.

Don't know if they are hypoallergenic, but not a lot of people are allergic to nitrile, lots are to latex.

Yes, I was probably using that term incorrectly - my bad. I was trying to say that lots of folks are allergic to latex. Thanks for the correction! :biggrin:

I noticed that when we were at the chocolate class in Chicago, they were using Nitrile gloves. You can buy them at Uline.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”