• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 8/10/2021 at 8:56 AM, FauxPas said:

I love these SO MUCH!  😃

Also, noticed you had Gilbey's Gin up above, with which I am not familiar. Is that a fave? I'm not a gin person, but I like a G&T now and then. Someone told me the Bombay Sapphire that I buy occasionally was a bad choice. I'm not sure what to look for in gin, they all taste on the edge of being a bit too herbal for me, so maybe I'm buying the wrong ones or maybe I'm just not destined to be a gin drinker. 

In 1980, the BBC broadcasted a play about a time traveller from the future visiting 1980s London. It was called The Flipside of Dominick Hide. In the play, the lead character adopts the pseudonym "Gilbey", after having seen a bottle in a pub.

For some unknown reason, that stuck in my memory and, 40 years later, I saw a bottle in a supermarket here in China, so I bought it. It was OK, but nothing special.

My preference is for Tanqueray, but I recently sampled a Scottish gin called The Botanist, which was rather good, so I may switch my allegience. I mentioned that gin here.

I'm not sure why someone would say Bombay Sapphire is a bad choice. It's fine. In recent years, there has been an explosion in so-called craft beers and people do sometimes get rather snooty about their gin, making stupid claims that their choice, no doubt hand-crafted by six nuns up a mountain in Patagonia, is the only one worth opening. Ignore them and enjoy what YOU like.

ginandtonic.thumb.jpg.451739566601b640cdaa24679ab9226a.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 8/10/2021 at 8:56 AM, FauxPas said:

I love these SO MUCH!  😃

Also, noticed you had Gilbey's Gin up above, with which I am not familiar. Is that a fave? I'm not a gin person, but I like a G&T now and then. Someone told me the Bombay Sapphire that I buy occasionally was a bad choice. I'm not sure what to look for in gin, they all taste on the edge of being a bit too herbal for me, so maybe I'm buying the wrong ones or maybe I'm just not destined to be a gin drinker. 

In 1980, the BBC broadcasted a play about a time traveller from the future visiting 1980s London. It was called The Flipside of Dominick Hide. In the play, the lead character adopts the pseudonym "Gilbey", after having seen a bottle in a pub.

For some unknown reason, that stuck in my memory and, 40 years later, I saw a bottle in a supermarket here in China, so I bought it. It was OK, but nothing special.

My preference is for Tanqueray, but I recently sampled a Scottish gin called The Botanist, which was rather good, so I may switch my allegience. I mentioned that gin here.

I'm not sure why someone would say Bombay Sapphire is a bad choice. It's fine. In recent years, there has been an explosion in so-called craft beers and people do sometimes get rather snooty about their gin, making stupid claims that their choice, no doubt hand-crafted by six nuns up a mountain in Patagonia, is the only one worth opening. Ignore them and enjoy what YOU like.

liuzhou

liuzhou

30 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I love these SO MUCH!  😃

In 1980, the BBC broadcasted a play about a time traveller from the furure visiting 1980s London. It was called The Flipside of Dominick Hide. In the play, the lead character adopts the pseudonym "Gilbey", after having seen a bottle in a pub.

I'm not sure why someone would say Bombay Sapphire is a bad choice. It's fine. In recent years, there has been an explosion in so-called craft beers and people do sometimes get rather snooty about their gin making stupid claims that their choice, no doubt hand-crafted by six nuns up a mountain in Patagonia, is the only one worth opening. Ignore them and enjoy what YOU like.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I love these SO MUCH!  😃

In 1980, the BBC broadcasted a play about a time traveller from the furure visiting 1980s London. It was called The Flipside of Dominick Hide. In the play, the lead character adopts the pseudonym "Gilbey", after having seen a bottle in a pub.

I'm not sure why someone would say Bombay Sapphire is a bad choice. It's fine. In recent years, there has been an explosion in so-called craft beers and people do sometimes get rather snooty about their gin making stupid claims that their choice, no doubt hand-crafted by six nuns up a mountain in Patagonia, is the only one worth opening. Ignore them and enjoy what YOU like.