• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ivy Restaurant

Carolyn Tillie

The Ivy [113 N Robertson Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90048-3101, (310) 274-8303] is one of those "legendary" places that people go to see movie stars. During my week in L.A., an old friend suggested it because it was where she had her 30th birthday party some twenty years ago so she had fond memories of the restaurant. It is very cute, decorated with French antique clay pots and chintz textiles. My friend told me that twenty years ago, the servers barely spoke English and one had to discern the specials through very thick French accents as they served very thick French, rustic dishes.

Apparently it has changed a lot over the years -- not in décor, but in style and offerings. It is true that the servers barely speak English now, but the very thick accents are Hispanic, no French. And while the menu is heavy with Italian pastas, the specials were all Mexican. My friend started with simple ice tea while I opted for an extremely well-prepared Pim's Cup. Kudos for that at least.

Research informed that the grilled salad is legendary so that was an easy choice. It was quite good, with grilled lettuce, zucchini, tomatoes, shrimp, avocado, and more.

gallery_431_4476_123044.jpg

We also shared a reasonably small, light Italian fish soup which was well-stocked with mussels, clams, shrimp, scallops, and chunks of white fish.

gallery_431_4476_20711.jpg

Having a very big dinner ahead of me, we opted to share the cookie plate with our coffee which included chocolate chip cookies, brownies, and pecan squares. $15? I don't think it was quite worth it...

gallery_431_4476_137233.jpg

Actually, what I have described cost over $100.00 which is pretty obscene for lunch. The food was reasonable good but even at half price, is still too much. Makes me want to go home to San Francisco.

any celebs there? 

Until a few months ago, my L.A. office was directly across the street from the place.  (from early 2000 to July 2007)

Probably, but do any of us really care? I lived in this town and worked with "celebs" for years. I am so over it that I deliberately ignore the potential of their presence.

no, you're right.. I was just oddly curious. I just associate that place with celeberity more than anything else. It seemed that was what it was primarily known for.

I always found it odd an facsinating at the papparazi that were always camped out across the street.

Edited by jsmeeker (log)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"