• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buttery, delicious, cold-pressed corn oil

Dianabanana

Once, about 20 years ago, I ordered some extraordinary corn oil from Walnut Acres. It came in a metal tin with instructions to keep it refrigerated. It was amber in color, and it smelled and tasted exactly like delicious buttery corn. I don't remember how it was described--cold pressed? unfiltered? It would have been organic since it was from Walnut Acres. It was truly amazing, but expensive, and I didn't have the money back then to keep buying it and what with one thing and another I forgot about it for the next two decades.

This morning the thought of the wonderful corn oil popped into my head and I checked the Walnut Acres site for it. Not only do they not carry it anymore, but they don't carry most of the lovely things they used to do, and you can't buy from them directly now either! It's just canned soups and the like. I'm feeling old.

Does anyone know where I might find this corn oil today?

Edited to remove overzealous use of the word "exactly."

Edited by Dianabanana (log)

The closest thing I've been able to find has been the unrefined expeller-pressed corn oil made by Spectrum. (www.spectrumorganics.com) I think that Whole Foods carries most of their product line.

I'm fascinated to hear, though, if anyone can find truly cold-pressed corn oil.