• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Mount Olympus of Pork

Amanda Rivkin of the Associated Press reported on the "2006 Alba Quercus Reserve". A salt-cured ham that will retail for about $2,100 per leg or roughly $160 per pound. :shock:

Apparently connoisseurs all over are lining up to get their names down for it. Can it really be that much better than the best Prosciutto de Parma at about $30 per pound?

Here's a poll on the subject from the Culinary Institute of America Smartbrief. As one might expect most people responded that it is crazy to spend that kind of money, however, about 35% of the respondents decided it might be worth that much.

As for whether it would be better than the best Prosciutto di Parma, I would guess yes. Whether or not the difference would be worth it, I am not sure. The best Iberico I have ever tasted, Joselito is transcendent. I would spend the money on small batches, but a whole leg, which is the only way to buy it at present would be too much for me. Maybe if I went in with a group for a party :hmmm:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz