• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truth is stranger than fiction...

ngatti

True story:

As the wife and i sit down for lunch in a fairly high end, kinda trendy Jersey restaurant, the waiter approaches and asks if we would like a drink.

ME: "What kind of wines by the glass do you have?"

WAITER: "We have red and we have white."

ME: (biting tongue and doing a good job of not laughing) " Oh no, I mean what type of wines are you serving by the glass?"

WAITER: "Well, we have Chardonnay, Cabernet, merlot..."

ME: "Why don't you just bring me the wine list."

Really folks, you can't make this shit up! :biggrin:

Nick

When I was a waiter, the conversation went like this:

Customer: How's the house white?

Me: It comes out of a tap.

Customer: I'll have a bottle of orvieto.

I worked at Pizzaria Uno. They actually tried to give us a class on how to properly open a bottle of wine at the table and how to pair the four wines on the menu with the pizzas. Really. I guess I shouldn't have pointed out that the place was just a glorified McDonalds and the customers would be happy if the pizzas didn't take so long to cook.

Then there was a waiter I had at a wedding: "Would you like the chardonay or the caberet?"

Back in June I dined at the Brothers Moon in Princeton. Overall it was a good experience but we got a good laugh at the waiter, who looked to be about 18, opening a bottle of Whitestar for another table. At a glance you knew it was going to be a problem as he struggled to twist the cork out instead of twisting the bottle slowly from the bottom, when suddenly.. POP!! out pours the champagne all over the floor. I hope they had an extra bottle in the back because it was a BYOB :laugh:

Back in June I dined at the Brothers Moon in Princeton.

Just to be more precise, do you mean Brother's Moon in Hopewell Borough?

I agree, I have had some above average food there, but the service, while polite and sincere, is very young and inexperienced.

What other places do you like in the Princeton area?

True story:

As the wife and i sit down for lunch in a fairly high end, kinda trendy Jersey restaurant, the waiter approaches and asks if we would like a drink.

ME: "What kind of wines by the glass do you have?"

WAITER: "We have red and we have white."

ME: (biting tongue and doing a good job of not laughing) " Oh no, I mean what type of wines are you serving by the glass?"

WAITER:  "Well, we have Chardonnay, Cabernet, merlot..."

ME:  "Why don't you just bring me the wine list."

Really folks, you can't make this shit up!  :biggrin:

Nick

what is sad is that i had the same exchange three years ago at

harlequin cafe in wharton.

i finally asked for the wine list (which didn't list the by the galss wines atthe time)

selected a bottle then the waiter broguht me the wrong bottle(year and producer)

he couldn't understand why i got ticked off - go figure

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Then there was a waiter I had at a wedding:  "Would you like the chardonay or the caberet?"

My girlfriend is still mad at me for, many years ago, not correcting her pronounciation of chianti (shianti) before she ordered a glass... :raz:

• 2 weeks later...

We were in a restaurant in North Bergen last year, a "sports bar" that shares a kitchen with a fairly well-respected Italian restaurant. We had read the dinner menu, the server asked if we were ready to order, and the conversation followed thusly:

Me: "Can you tell me what the soup du jour is?"

She: (perplexed) "It's the soup of the day."

Me: "Hmm...yes...can you tell me what KIND of soup it is?"

She: (now annoyed and glaring at me) "It's the soup of the day!"

Me: (Now also perplexed) "But what KIND is it??"

She: (smoke coming out of ears) It doesn't MATTER what kind it is! It's the soup of the DAY! It's NIGHTTIME now, we don't serve it anymore!!

Me: stunned silence.

I could not marshal an argument against that kind of logic.