• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

hearts of palm

Live It Up

If you've ever been to South America, perhaps you noticed that they really love their palmitos (hearts of palm) there. When I first tried them in Argentina I thought that they must be fresh, because they tasted to different from the hearts of palm I'd had before. But, no, they're canned, just like the ones we get here in the US. Except they taste so much better. I bought a couple of cans there, but I was curious if anybody knows of any good brands that I can buy here at home. I've tried goya, and another one that I can't remember. I've also had the ones that come in the big glass jars from costco, but those sucked too. So, if you know what I mean, help me out. Please?

Ive tried several and found Vigo brand, (Whole, canned and non marinated ) to be consistantly good, and not mushy..

If youre into grilling, try gving them an Olive oil & garlic dressing and then a quick sear on the grill - just long enough to get good grill marks, it really takes them to another level.

" No, Starvin' Marvin ! Thats MY turkey pot pie "

- Cartman

I hear Roland is a good brand.

I will second the nomination of the Roland. Very little hard stuff and no mush. The liquid they are packed in seems to be very light in flavor.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.