• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UPSCALE BISTRO - TOWNE HALL - WEST ISLAND

lioness

Just wanted to post a review on the new bistro that just opened in the Mega Sources mall in Pointe Claire (right behind 40 Westt).

The decor is beautiful. Dark wood with cream chairs and banquettes, high ceilings with massive chandeliers. The kitchen is an open concept so you can see the chefs milling around back there.

As hubby and I entered, we were greeted not by one, but by three hostesses! There seemed to also be around 12 waiters waiting around (no pun intended!). Our waiter was very nice and courteous although may have hovered a little too much, constantly watching our faces for ANY reaction (good or bad) and coming over to check if all was right.

Ok, lets get to the meal. I had an appetizer of foie gras on croutons with a wine reduction. It was good but I've had better.. I don't know if it was the quality of the foie gras or the cooking process, but it just didn't taste as silky as others I've had.

My husband had the antipasto plate which consisted of cantaloupe melon sliced, some Prosciutto and some Parmesan shavings. Not bad although he said that he's had more flavorful Prosciutto in other restaurants. As well, the plating was not very attractive (they could have enhanced the look like this http://buttabuns.wordpress.com/2007/05/28/...d-melon-salad/)

I then had the duck in a berry reduction sauce atop mashed potatoes and served with rapini. While the duck was perfectly cooked, the berries from the sauce were a tad too bitter for my liking.

My husband had a "fillet mignon melody" which consisted of 3 4oz fillet mignons, one with Gorgonzola atop, one with a brandy or cognac reduction sauce and the other with a small round of foie gras. It also came with either fries or rapini. He chose fries. For $36 I would have assumed that both could have come with it. He enjoyed the dish preferring the Gorgonzola and reduction sauce fillet mignons over the foie gras.

The wine list was not extensive but seemed reasonably priced, as the lowest was $40 for a Bordeaux. We decided to have wine by the glass at $8 a glass.

With wine and tip, our total came to $156.

Not a bad deal. Overall we left with a good impression although they simply cannot compete with Le Gourmand in Pointe Claire Village.

By the way, the owners are the same ones from 40 Westt.

Edited by lioness (log)

Went there just for lunch just after opening day with with 5 other work colleagues. Visually very pleasing, huge ceiling to floor glass wine rack wall (not sure how good that is for the wine though?), crystal chandeliers, comfy seating. We too were greeted by many hostesses & waiters waiting for customers to arrive. Food was decent; for mains all the women had chicken that was nicely grilled & glazed, atop some garlic mashed & rapini that was tough to chew whereas all the men had the veal liver in a reduction sauce with same veggies & they all enjoyed. Apps included a somewhat dry but flavorful baked goat cheese with sun dried tomatos (came in a small cast iron pan that the cheese stuck to, maybe could've used some oil), antipasto plates were enjoyed by 4 others & came as described by Lioness. For dessert, lemon tarts were deemed very good. Overall, it was a good lunch experience. I'd go back but also agree with Lioness that it does not come anywhere close to Le Gourmand in the PC Village.

huge ceiling to floor glass wine rack wall

Why is it that every time I see one of those things I think I'm going to get hosed?

Just reading that made me not want to go there. It gives me the instant feeling that I'm going to be paying too much for my food.

Sorry for the aside. I just have a thing against those sort of ostentatious displays.

This one statement makes me not want to go.

Actually the overall description of the Towne Hall experience makes me think of the "higher-end" chain restaurants that I'm subjected to when I'm stuck in southern New Jersey. If my $156 only gets something that's just okay, I'd much rather spend it somewhere where the cooking isn't pedestrian.

• 2 weeks later...

This one statement makes me not want to go.

Actually the overall description of the Towne Hall experience makes me think of the "higher-end" chain restaurants that I'm subjected to when I'm stuck in southern New Jersey. If my $156 only gets something that's just okay, I'd much rather spend it somewhere where the cooking isn't pedestrian.

Actually it really is worth it. I think that this restaurant is way above any chain restaurant. It is in the same league as Le gourmand, but just not as good and less expensive.

• 2 years later...

I've just returned from a xmas dinner party at Towne Hall and what a disaster it was. Let alone all of the mix ups with the reservations etc. The food was not worth the price. For a fixed menu, they served either steak, salmon, lamb shank, veal liver (who serves liver on a fixed menu?) and chicken. I had the steak and believe it or not, they served us flank steak!. This is supposed to be very upscale and they serve us flank steak! Don't et me wrong, in the right hands and under the right circumstances, flank steak can be amazing, but not in this case. It was heavily cut criss-crossed to obtain some level of tenderness. Unfortunately it didn't work. Another person had salmon that ended up being raw in the middle and someone else had asked for med well done steak and received med-rare. The purpose of the evening was to be together for an end of year party and we had asked for a separate room that ended up not being available when we got there! So we ended up having blaring (and I mean blaring!) music, so loud that we could not even talk without screaming at each other even though we were talking into each others ears directly. I think this is our last visit. I'm sorry if others went there based on my first revue in 2007. I would not suggest to go back.!