• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Sushi Economy"

MarketStEl

Philadelphia Inquirer economics columnist Andrew Cassel gave his readers a heads-up today on an intriguing new book by a local freelance journalist, Sasha Issenberg. The book's main subject is economic globalization, but the story is told through the evolution of a delicacy known only to the Japanese into what might be the first truly global dish--a popular item that incorporates ingredients from all over and is continually adapted to suit changing locales, tastes and times.

If you wonder how "Philly roll" came to be part of the standard repertoire, this book will in all likelihood offer you clues why, even if that particular variety is never mentioned by name:

The Sushi Economy: Globalization and the Making of a Modern Delicacy

Andrew Cassel's column on the book

Publication date is May 3. You can pre-order through eGullet's Amazon.com connection.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I took part in the Sea Urchin Boom/Bust here in Maine during the '90s as a commercial diver (see stupid avatar at left).

Before anyone could blink, every unemployed plumber and contractor had a scuba tank on their back, scraping seemingly innumerable urchins off the sea floor and selling them at the town pier for hundreds of dollars. By 1995 sea urchins were the number two seafood export out of Maine, behind lobsters. It was like the gold rush of the 1840's.

I wonder if Sasha weighs in on the whirlwind effect the fishery had here - or in California, another source of high-quality, american uni? Must check it out.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if Sasha weighs in on the whirlwind effect the fishery had here - or in California, another source of high-quality, american uni?  Must check it out.

I'm sure there is an economist who claims the consumption of squid is a highly accurate indicator of economic development in the west.

www.naturalfarms.co.uk ~ our wholesale butchery

www.sussexfarms.blogspot.com ~ our pie kitchen

• 2 weeks later...
I took part in the Sea Urchin Boom/Bust here in Maine during the '90s as a commercial diver (see stupid avatar at left). 

Before anyone could blink, every unemployed plumber and contractor had a scuba tank on their back, scraping seemingly innumerable urchins off the sea floor and selling them at the town pier for hundreds of dollars.  By 1995 sea urchins were the number two seafood export out of Maine, behind lobsters.  It was like the gold rush of the 1840's.

I wonder if Sasha weighs in on the whirlwind effect the fishery had here - or in California, another source of high-quality, american uni?  Must check it out.

I just finished an advance of Trevor Corson's "The Zen of Fish," (he also did "Secret Life of Lobsters") which is about the evolution of sushi, and he spends some time on that very topic but it's got more of a California slant to it. I don't remember much attention (if any) paid to Maine in that regard.

It's a solid book. Divided roughly into thirds, he follows a class of budding sushi chefs a la Ruhlman, talks about various species of fish as well as history. He covers a lot of ground. I won't be surprised if it ends up on some short lists at the end of the year. It comes out in June.

• 1 month later...

Before anyone could blink, every unemployed plumber and contractor had a scuba tank on their back, scraping seemingly innumerable urchins off the sea floor and selling them at the town pier for hundreds of dollars.  By 1995 sea urchins were the number two seafood export out of Maine, behind lobsters.  It was like the gold rush of the 1840's.

I just finished an advance of Trevor Corson's "The Zen of Fish," (he also did "Secret Life of Lobsters") which is about the evolution of sushi, and he spends some time on that very topic but it's got more of a California slant to it. I don't remember much attention (if any) paid to Maine in that regard.

It's a solid book. Divided roughly into thirds, he follows a class of budding sushi chefs a la Ruhlman, talks about various species of fish as well as history. He covers a lot of ground. I won't be surprised if it ends up on some short lists at the end of the year. It comes out in June.

Anyone have any thoughts about which book is the better?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz