• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saveur shrimp issue

chappie

I love Saveur, and understand it's all about food and culture and not really hard-hitting journalism. However, some mention should have been made in the latest issue of the insane amounts of bycatch that dies for every pound of shrimp caught.

The only mention whatsoever is something along the lines of "then the bycatch is shoveled overboard."

Any thoughts? Not that it's their business or motive to slam the shrimp industry, but I think it deserves mentioning.

I love Saveur, and understand it's all about food and culture and not really hard-hitting journalism.

Even in "hard-hitting journalism" not every story has to be about every issue related to that topic. In a story about the environmental impact of shrimping, it would be negligent to leave out the issue of bycatch. Saveur wasn't doing that.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I love Saveur, and understand it's all about food and culture and not really hard-hitting journalism.

Even in "hard-hitting journalism" not every story has to be about every issue related to that topic. In a story about the environmental impact of shrimping, it would be negligent to leave out the issue of bycatch. Saveur wasn't doing that.

In the new issue of Gourmet, there is an article on shrimp, and they actually mention bycatch and the issues surrounding it

It's a good issue, but it isn't completely without influence - the "super duper eat-more-American-shrimp" organization has recently launched a massive ad campaign to .....

...wait for it....

... get people to eat more Wild American Shrimp. :huh::raz:

Study on Marketing Blitz

An (eek) powerpoint presentation on the marketing thing...

Old Press Release from 2004 on shrimp promotion

And even more.... google search for shrimp marketing....

Now, I'm not saying that that's a bad thing, but know that Saveur didn't just pluck this story idea out of nowhere.

I like shrimp. I've had very icky shrimp from China. If they can bring in tasty shrimp domestically and not kill insane amounts of other critters, I'm all for it.

Andrea

http://foodpart.com

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!