• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gilmore's

percyn

Discussions on recent visits and experiences you have had at Gilmore's Restaurant in West Chester.

From their website:

Gilmore’s Restaurant, located at 133 East Gay Street in historic down-town West Chester, is a dream come true for chef owner Peter Gilmore and his wife, Susan. After 22 noteworthy years as chef de cuisine at Philadelphia’s renowned Le Bec-Fin, Peter opened this intimate BYOB serving French cuisine in August of 2001. Since that time, Gilmore’s has become one of the area’s most treasured restaurants.

Set in a beautifully transformed 18th century townhouse, the restaurant offers a warm and friendly dining experience highlighted by excellent service and the unique culinary style for which Peter is famous – classic French fare enhanced with a contemporary American flair.

We love Gilmore's, which is a little BYO in West Chester, owned by a renowned ex-Le Bec Fin chef, Peter Gilmore. Unfortunately due to the small size and popularity of the restaurant, getting reservations is a challenge, but if you book a few months in advance, opentable.com or get on their mailing list for cancellations, you can get in. I had made this reservation 2 months in advance. Parking can be a bit of a problem, but there is a parking garage 2 blocks away.

We were seated at the "champagne table" (a small table near the kitchen), which was the only one left, but that also meant that we got to enjoy the complimentary glasses of champagne.

Their online menu is relative up to date, with a few daily specials added. Yesterday the appetizer specials were seared scallops with short ribs on polenta and pheasant consumé. The specials for the entree included Pheasant (which I ordered) and soft shell crab.

Here is what we ordered (sorry for the poor quality of the lighting and photos):

Foie Gras - sautéed foie gras on grilled pineapple

bathed in truffle sauce & drizzled with

white truffle oil

Truffle and goat cheese salad

Pheasant on risotto with pheasant au jus. Small yet flavorful pheasant on a wonderfully cooked risotto.

gallery_21049_162_1734.jpg

Truffled (free range) Chicken Breast - truffle and brioche breaded, on truffle mashed potato with truffle sauce. Very juicy and tender chicken breast, cooked to perfection.

gallery_21049_162_34927.jpg

Baba au Rhum for dessert with coffee. Good, but not as good as the appetizers and entrees. I like my baba to absorb all the rum sauce and the rum syrup had just been drizzled on this one.

The wines we enjoyed through the evening (in addition to the complementary champange) were - Chateau St Jean Robert Young Vineyard Chardonnay 2001 (thank you Chairman Newman), Chateau Béhéré Bordeaux (Pauillac) 1997 and some icewine with the Foie Gras.

Definately worth the price and I can't wait to go back.

• 2 months later...

Percyn arranged for a table of us to attend Gilmore’s Summer Wine Dinner with Moore Brother’s, a multi-course tasting menu paired with a series of the off-the-beaten-track wines that Moore Brothers specializes in.

It was a delightful night, with excellent food, fascinating wines, and amusing company. I forgot my camera, but never fear, Percy took pics and is sure to post them here soon.

Here’s a brief run-down of my impressions:

Amuse-Bouche: Zucchini Blossom stuffed with Jonah Crab and Shrimp Mousse.

Wine: Haut-Poitou “Armance B” Ampelidae NV

This Starter appeared to be really great, but I looked away for one second, and Capaneus stole it right off my plate. (I don’t want to start any rumors, but I swear he ate half of SaxChik’s food too.) There was a lot of oohing and ahhing around the table, so I think it’s safe to say it was good.

The bubbly was a really nice starter, dry yet fully fruity.

Broccoli Mouseline with Jellied Pheasant Consomme and Mousse of Foie Gras

Wine: Mittelrhein Bacharater Rivaner Troken, Weingut Ratzenberger 2004

This was a dramatic presentation of several diverse tastes and textures, layered in a martini glass. It presented an amusing visual deception, it was so glassy and lovely that we really expected it to be sweet. But the golden top level was a deep-flavored, savory, pheasant consummé, one of the better game bird Jellos I’ve encountered. OK, it’s the only one I’ve had the good fortune to eat, but after this experience, I hope it’s not my last. The next stratum was a mild, creamy purée of Broccoli, and on the bottom, a generous anchor of slightly chunky foie gras mousse. The foie preparation was a bit denser than I think of mousses being, but it was quite tasty in that decadent way. This whole dish worked beautifully, and it was interesting to try the elements alone, all layers together, different ratios….

The wine was delicious, another trickster confounding our expectations, tasting nothing like it smelled. It had a clean, fresh fruit that reminded me of a refreshing summer peach.

Rare Tuna Tournedos with Ratatouille and Lovage Beurre Blanc

Wine: Coteaux d'Aix en Provence, Chateau Caliasanne "Cuvee du Chateau" Rose 2004

I don't think that I can describe what lovage tastes like, but that buerre blanc was just busting out with it. The tuna was a bit past rare, but I actually liked that, it was still nicely medium-rare, and by virtue of it being cooked a bit more had a nice firm texture, while being extremely tender. The fish itself was very tasty, a nice char on the outside, set on a mild, smooth ratatouille, crowned with a fried leek bouffant. It was a generous portion too, excellent to the end.

The wine was really good here, with the complexity of a red, but not all the density, so it wouldn’t plow over the delicate flavors of the fish. To our chagrin, we were informed that they don’t actually have any of this at Moore Brothers any more! They mentioned that there are plenty of other fine rosés they could suggest, but, you know, they just hooked us on THIS one!

Magret Breast with Grilled Summer Stone Fruit

Wine: Cotes du Frotonnais, Chateau Bellevue la Foret "Ce Vin" 2001

This was a wonderful twist on what could have been a cliché duck dish. The grilled peaches, (and I think some of those tasty little wilted cubes were plums) played-up the flavors of the duck, as fruit often does, but without being overly sweet. There was a good bit of fat still on the breast, which got a little chewy, but it was really delicious, so, I chewed. The meat had a nice salty edge that, oddly, meshed beautifully with the wine.

The wine was an excellent match for the bird and the fruit, but it was a bit weird on its own. It’s another one with a nose that feints away from the actual flavor on the tongue. As we discussed at our table, it’s a pity that there aren’t more wines like this, great food wines that might be doomed by their lack of appeal as unaccompanied quaffing beverages.

Goat Cheese and Roasted Beet Napoleon

Wine: Vouvray, Philippe Poniatowski "Le Bouchet" 2003

I’m not sure if the Ministry of Putting Things On Top of Other Things would really offer this a stamp of approval as a “Napoleon”, but it was a nice cheese course nonetheless, a heap of diced beets topped with a slightly tangy cheese.

The Vouvray went very well with the beets, and with the beets and cheese together, but for a big bite of cheese alone, the red from the previous course was even better!

The Vouvray carried over to accompany our dessert course, and seemed to be made especially to pair with the assertive verbena in the ice cream.

Brioche French Toast with Strawberries and Lemon-Verbena Ice Cream

This was a good dessert, but I wouldn’t mind having it for brunch either. The brioche made this light enough to work at the end of this large meal, and the berries had macerated down to a soft texture. But the star really was the ice cream, with the assertive herby kick.

Every course was quite delicious, varied and generously proportioned. The wine pairings were right-on, and it’s always refreshing to hear how affordable the bottles that Moore Brothers promotes often are. So, we learned a bit about some new wines, enjoyed wonderful food, and experienced the revelatory synergy of good pairings. Hard to beat.

The whole experience was improved by a simpatico crew of eGulleteers, despite the rampant pilfering from neighbors’ plates. Big thanks, Percy, I'd been meaning to try this restaurant for a long time, and this was a dramatic introduction! Everything was so good, I'm certainly going back. And I can highly recommend the Moore Bros wine dinner experience, keep an eye out, they do these periodically.

Oh, and by the way, if anyone implies that they saw us over at the gelato place afterward, I say it’s a slanderous lie. I mean, what kind of psychopaths would go get gelato after a huge, rich, decadent meal like that?!?! It just doesn’t make sense. No way, that was NOT us. I mean sure, we like gelato and all, but nobody would be that excessive. Impossible.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Wine: Coteaux d'Aix en Provence, Chateau Caliasanne "Cuvee du Chateau" Rose 2004

I don't think that I can describe what lovage tastes like, but that buerre blanc was just busting out with it. The tuna was a bit past rare, but I actually liked that, it was still nicely medium-rare, and by virtue of it being cooked a bit more had a nice firm texture, while being extremely tender. The fish itself was very tasty, a nice char on the outside, set on a mild, smooth ratatouille, crowned with a fried leek bouffant. It was a generous portion too, excellent to the end.

to me lovage tastes like celery, but way more so.

The wine was really good here, with the complexity of a red, but not all the density, so it wouldn’t plow over the delicate flavors of the fish. To our chagrin, we were informed that they don’t actually have any of this at Moore Brothers any more! They mentioned that there are plenty of other fine rosés they could suggest, but, you know, they just hooked us on THIS one!

i have a couple bottles of that here, but haven't drunk them yet. it's funny, i don't know if it's the effective salesmen at moore bros. or what, but every year they have a hot rose or two that sell out right away. last year i think it was the bellevue le foret. wait that might have been the year before.

sounds like a great meal folks. gives me some ideas.

As the invited presenter at last night's meal, I must say it was a pleasure to work with Peter and his staff at Gilmore's and to pour wines for and converse with all of his customers. I promised Katie and her tablemates that I'd chime in if they posted their thoughts on the meal, so here goes. Some good news: for those of you who loved the rosé, there is more on the way from France. Some not so good news: for those of you who enjoyed the Rivaner from Ratzenberger, it is gone for the vintage; the 2005 will arrive sometime early next spring.

Below, you'll find the "official" (I hope this isn't too gratuitous) tasting notes which come straight from our wine database here at Moore Brothers.

<b>Haut-Poitou "Armance B" Ampelidae NV</b>

Ampelidae, in Marigny-Brizay, is near the ancient city of Poitiers in the Vienne Departement, about an hour’s drive southwest of Tours. Frédéric Brochet and his father, Christian have committed themselves to reviving Marigny’s ancient wine tradition. This finely aromatic sparkling wine is made from biodynamically grown Folle Blanche, Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay grapes vinified in the traditional méthode champenoise. The vines average twenty years of age.

<b>Bacharacher Rivaner trocken Weingut Ratzenberger 2004</b>

The Ratzenberger family moved to the Mittelrhein from East Germany in the 1950’s. The 8-hectare estate, centered on the town of Bacharach, comprises steep vineyards of blue-black Devon slate (especially the Steeger St. Jost and the Bacharacher Posten) combined with clay (in the Bacharacher Wolfshöhle). This wine is varietal Müller-Thurgau, fermented dry in stainless steel, and bottled early in order to maintain its fresh floral and citric aromatics.

<b>Coteaux d’Aix-en-Provence "Cuvée du Château" Rosé Château Calissanne 2004</b>

Château Calissanne is largest single estate in the vicinity of Aix-en-Provence, with a marvelous view of Mont St. Victoire. General Manager and winemaker Jean Bonnet makes some of the finest and most elegant wines in Provence. This very sophisticated “rosé de repas” is a blend of equal parts of Grenache, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Syrah, vinified in stainless steel cuves in the traditional saignée method.

<b>Côtes du Frontonnais “Ce Vin” Château Bellevue-La Forêt 2001</b>

Immediately north of Toulouse, on the left bank of the Tarn river near Fronton, this large domaine has preserved an identity by replanting the Négrette, a grape variety that is unique to the region. This cuvée, “Ce Vin,” is made exclusively with this ancient variety. The nose shows ripe fruit with slightly floral scents, and the finish reflects the soft tannic structure of the grape.

<b>Vouvray "Le Bouchet" Prince Poniatowski 2003</b>

Chenin Blanc is a versatile grape variety. Its characteristics change with each season, giving elegant and complex wines with a great potential for bottle development. One of the first wines made at this estate by the extraordinary Montlouis producer, François Chidaine, this is a refined, concentrated wine with stony mineral flavors well balanced by the right degree of acidity and good alcoholic level. The wine, while very attractive now, is capable of long-term development if kept in a good cellar.

Thanks David! It was a pleasure to see you and have your expertise at the ready with the wine descriptions for the wonderful pairings that complimented our dinner so well.

Hopefully, Percy will have time to post the photos of our incredible meal last night. I loved absolutely everything, and despite the fact that Jeff insists on referring to the Broccoli Mousseline, Pheasant consomme and Foie Gras Mousse course as "Pheasant Jello" :raz: , I thought the presentation was brilliant and the textures and flavors delicious. Although the no-brainer pairing would have been something sweet, the Rivaner was an inspired choice and I enjoyed it immensely. The "Le Bouchet" Vouvray is an old favorite of mine that I have purchased both for personal indulgence and at several restaurants in the past. It was delicious with the goat cheese (sorry boys, I like white with tangy goat cheeses, red with other cheeses. But that's just me.) and surprisingly went perfectly with dessert too. Especially the Lemon Verbena Ice Cream! :wub:

The caliber of cooking at Gilmore's does Chef Peter Gilmore and his staff proud. The service was gracious and friendly. The food was spectacular and the wine pairings really took this meal over the top. Please feel free to let me know of future events and I'll be happy to post them on the eGullet calendar for the PA/NJ/DE folks.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Please feel free to let me know of future events and I'll be happy to post them on the eGullet calendar for the PA/NJ/DE folks.

Good idea :biggrin:

I have heard about the Moore Bros dinners but never had any solid leads. Posting here would be great!

Evan

Edited by shacke (log)

Dough can sense fear.

Once again...Philadining has made my job easy...so here are the pics. Thanks to Nick who was conveniently seated by the window for creating this contraption to trap as much natural light as possible (Gilmores is not the best place to use a flash, thus you will see the light quality decline as the meal progresses).

David, great to meet you and to see you chime in.

Percyn arranged for a table of us to attend Gilmore’s Summer Wine Dinner with Moore Brother’s, a multi-course tasting menu paired with a series of the off-the-beaten-track wines that Moore Brothers specializes in.

It was a delightful night, with excellent food, fascinating wines, and amusing company. I forgot my camera, but never fear, Percy took pics and is sure to post them here soon.

Here’s a brief run-down of my impressions:

gallery_21049_162_56164.jpg

Amuse-Bouche: Zucchini Blossom stuffed with Jonah Crab and Shrimp Mousse.

Wine: Haut-Poitou “Armance B” Ampelidae NV

This Starter appeared to be really great, but I looked away for one second, and Capaneus stole it right off my plate. (I don’t want to start any rumors, but I swear he ate half of SaxChik’s food too.) There was a lot of oohing and ahhing around the table, so I think it’s safe to say it was good.

The bubbly was a really nice starter, dry yet fully fruity.

gallery_21049_162_87744.jpg

Broccoli Mouseline with Jellied Pheasant Consomme and Mousse of Foie Gras

Wine: Mittelrhein Bacharater Rivaner Troken, Weingut Ratzenberger 2004

This was a dramatic presentation of several diverse tastes and textures, layered in a martini glass. It presented an amusing visual deception, it was so glassy and lovely that we really expected it to be sweet. But the golden top level was a deep-flavored, savory, pheasant consummé, one of the better game bird Jellos I’ve encountered. OK, it’s the only one I’ve had the good fortune to eat, but after this experience, I hope it’s not my last. The next stratum was a mild, creamy purée of Broccoli, and on the bottom, a generous anchor of slightly chunky foie gras mousse. The foie preparation was a bit denser than I think of mousses being, but it was quite tasty in that decadent way. This whole dish worked beautifully, and it was interesting to try the elements alone, all layers together, different ratios….

The wine was delicious, another trickster confounding our expectations, tasting nothing like it smelled. It had a clean, fresh fruit that reminded me of a refreshing summer peach.

gallery_21049_162_7388.jpg

Rare Tuna Tournedos with Ratatouille and Lovage Beurre Blanc

gallery_21049_162_4246.jpg

Magret Breast with Grilled Summer Stone Fruit

Wine: Cotes du Frotonnais, Chateau Bellevue la Foret "Ce Vin" 2001

This was a wonderful twist on what could have been a cliché duck dish. The grilled peaches, (and I think some of those tasty little wilted cubes were plums) played-up the flavors of the duck, as fruit often does, but without being overly sweet. There was a good bit of fat still on the breast, which got a little chewy, but it was really delicious, so, I chewed. The meat had a nice salty edge that, oddly, meshed beautifully with the wine.

The wine was an excellent match for the bird and the fruit, but it was a bit weird on its own. It’s another one with a nose that feints away from the actual flavor on the tongue. As we discussed at our table, it’s a pity that there aren’t more wines like this, great food wines that might be doomed by their lack of appeal as unaccompanied quaffing beverages.

gallery_21049_162_32511.jpg

Goat Cheese and Roasted Beet Napoleon

Wine: Vouvray, Philippe Poniatowski "Le Bouchet" 2003

I’m not sure if the Ministry of Putting Things On Top of Other Things would really offer this a stamp of approval as a “Napoleon”, but it was a nice cheese course nonetheless, a heap of diced beets topped with a slightly tangy cheese.

The Vouvray went very well with the beets, and with the beets and cheese together, but for  a big bite of cheese alone, the red from the previous course was even better!

The Vouvray carried over to accompany our dessert course, and seemed to be made especially to pair with the assertive verbena in the ice cream.

gallery_21049_162_50361.jpg

Brioche French Toast with Strawberries and Lemon-Verbena Ice Cream

This was a good dessert, but I wouldn’t mind having it for brunch either.  The brioche made this light enough to work at the end of this large meal, and the berries had macerated down to a soft texture. But the star really was the ice cream, with the assertive herby kick.

Every course was quite delicious, varied and generously proportioned. The wine pairings were right-on, and it’s always refreshing to hear how affordable the bottles that Moore Brothers promotes often are.  So, we learned a bit about some new wines, enjoyed wonderful food, and experienced the revelatory synergy of good pairings. Hard to beat.

The whole experience was improved by a simpatico crew of eGulleteers, despite the rampant pilfering from neighbors’ plates. Big thanks, Percy, I'd been meaning to try this restaurant for a long time, and this was a dramatic introduction! Everything was so good, I'm certainly going back. And I can highly recommend the Moore Bros wine dinner experience, keep an eye out, they do these periodically.

Oh, and by the way, if anyone implies that they saw us over at the gelato place afterward, I say it’s a slanderous lie. I mean, what kind of psychopaths would go get gelato after a huge, rich, decadent meal like that?!?!  It just doesn’t make sense. No way, that was NOT us. I mean sure, we like gelato and all, but nobody would be that excessive. Impossible.

Please feel free to let me know of future events and I'll be happy to post them on the eGullet calendar for the PA/NJ/DE folks.

I have heard about the Moore Bros dinners but never had any solid leads. Posting here would be great!

Evan

Gilmore's has added another date for the Moore Brothers wine dinner on Aug 14th. Not sure if they are sold out.

Evan

Gilmore's has added another date for the Moore Brothers wine dinner on Aug 14th. Not sure if they are sold out.

The August 14th date at Gilmore's was added due to the very high demand for the August 1st dinner. The menu will be exactly the same; the wine pairings will be similar. The event is already sold out. For those who are interested in future dinners, they are promoted by Gilmore's (not by Moore Brothers). Contact the restaurant directly to be added to their contact list.

• 3 months later...

Having tired of burrowing fruitlessly around the roots of nearby oak trees, a few of us found an easier way to satisfy our truffle lust: Gilmore's Truffle Dinner.

It was a really lovely night, with good food, wine and company.

Poached Quail Egg in an Artichoke bottom with Truffle Hollandaise on Chanterelle Stew

This got us off to a luxurious start, the creamy richness cut by the earthiness of the chanterelles and the bright tang of the artichoke. I felt that the truffle got a bit lost in the hollandaise, but it was a tasty dish regardless.

Pheasant Consommé with Truffles en Croute

This was an incredibly deeply-flavored broth, any more reduced and it would have turned into demi-glace. Delicate puff pastry hovered on top, giving a nice crunch. This had a great foresty funk beneath the elegant textures, one of my favorite dishes of the night.

Truffle Dusted Scallop with Celeri Root Fondant with sauce Beurre Rouge

A tender scallop was completely encrusted in shaved truffles, but somehow didn't taste all that truffley to me, as if the essence had been cooked out of them. The scallop was quite good regardless, complimented well by the creamy celery root and wine sauce.

Roasted Poussin Stuffed with Truffles, Foie Gras bread pudding, sauce Perigourdine

This was another example of an excellent dish that just didn't hit me as all that truffley. Many courses of beat-you-over-the-head trufflosity might have been too much, but the stuffing again, seemed a little subtle. They were nonetheless delicious, tender young birds and the foie gras bread pudding was just outrageously good. (if you've been trying to find something to do with all your left-over foie gras, keep this in mind!)

Bochella a la Tartufo with mache salad in a truffle vinaigrette

Ahh, OK, I was starting to worry that perhaps I couldn't sniff-out a truffle if they fell from the sky like hail, but this course confirmed that what I was searching for was attainable! This seemingly simple dish made the whole evening for me: a semi-soft, truffled cheese atop a bright, slightly sour salad, fresh white truffles grated over the top at the last second. This was everything I was hoping for all night, dark and mysterious, stinky, a whiff of burning leaves, an intriguing essence more than a flavor, that transcendent thing that explains the obsession with these fungi. This was especially good with a sip of old Corton Charlemagne. Now that's living...

Truffle ice cream

The ice cream on its own was interesting, but odd, strong with truffle flavor and not very sweet. But combined with the crunchy tuille, some candied lemon zest and a bit of chocolate, the cumulative tastes were delightful.

A fresh chocolate truffle topped off the night, along with some good coffee.

I don't mean to sound negative in my comments above, I actually enjoyed the dinner very much. Peter Gilmore is an extremely accomplished chef, and all the dishes were very well-executed and delicious. i was just expecting a few more of those magical truffle moments, to be more often trapped in their mysterious thrall. Most of the dishes were more subtle than that, again, quite delicious, but you know, it's a truffle dinner, hit me!

I'm not sure if we hit any home-runs with the wine-pairings, but it was fun swinging at the pitches! And I think we had a couple of solid base hits, like the Corton and cheese.

Again, overall a truly enjoyable evening with entertaining dining partners, delicious food, and good wine. It certainly encourages me to go back to Gilmore's soon, special dinner or not.

Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com

I had a great time and enjoyed the food and company. Don't get too hung up on the truffleyness Jeff, the white truffle is king in my book and I guess I thought truffle dinner in November meant white truffles. Black ones are not nearly as fragrant or flavorful. The black truffle is much more versatile however and is probably more appealing to chefs since they can be cooked.

Many many thanks to Percyn for inviting me.

Still, I have an unfinished craving for tartufo bianco this season. I will grab a pig or poodle and find a white truffle dinner nearby. If someone else else knows of one, please let me know.

Evan

Edited by shacke (log)

Dough can sense fear.

Here are some of the wines we paired with the dishes....

Having tired of burrowing fruitlessly around the roots of nearby oak trees, a few of us found an easier way to satisfy our truffle lust: Gilmore's Truffle Dinner.

It was a really lovely night, with good food, wine and company.

Poached Quail Egg in an Artichoke bottom with Truffle Hollandaise on Chanterelle Stew

2000 Saintsbury Pinot Noir

This got us off to a luxurious start, the creamy richness cut by the earthiness of the chanterelles and the bright tang of the artichoke. I felt that the truffle got a bit lost in the hollandaise, but it was a tasty dish regardless.

Pheasant Consommé with Truffles en Croute

1994 Corton-Charlemagne

This was an incredibly deeply-flavored broth, any more reduced and it would have turned into demi-glace. Delicate puff pastry hovered on top, giving a nice crunch.  This had a great foresty funk beneath the elegant textures, one of my favorite dishes of the night.

Truffle Dusted Scallop with Celeri Root Fondant with sauce Beurre Rouge

2002 Chassagne Montrachet

A tender scallop was completely encrusted in shaved truffles, but somehow didn't taste all that truffley to me, as if the essence had been cooked out of them. The scallop was quite  good regardless, complimented well by the creamy celery root and wine sauce.

Roasted Poussin Stuffed with Truffles, Foie Gras bread pudding, sauce Perigourdine

Barolo (this wine was decanted before I could note the wine maker and vintage)

This was another example of an excellent dish that just didn't hit me as all that truffley.  Many courses of beat-you-over-the-head trufflosity might have been too much, but the stuffing again, seemed a little subtle. They were nonetheless delicious, tender young birds and the foie gras bread pudding was just outrageously good. (if you've been trying to find something to do with all your left-over foie gras, keep this in mind!)

Bochella a la Tartufo with mache salad in a truffle vinaigrette

1994 Corton-Charlemagne

2002 Chassagne Montrachet

Ahh, OK, I was starting to worry that perhaps I couldn't sniff-out a truffle if they fell from the sky like hail, but this course confirmed that what I was searching for was attainable! This seemingly simple dish made the whole evening for me: a semi-soft, truffled cheese atop a bright, slightly sour salad, fresh white truffles grated over the top at the last second. This was everything I was hoping for all night, dark and mysterious, stinky, a whiff of burning  leaves, an intriguing essence more than a flavor, that transcendent thing that explains the obsession with these fungi.  This was especially good with a sip of old Corton Charlemagne. Now that's living...

Truffle ice cream

The ice cream on its own was interesting, but odd, strong with truffle flavor and not very  sweet. But combined with the crunchy tuille, some candied lemon zest and a bit of chocolate, the cumulative tastes were delightful.

A fresh chocolate truffle topped off the night, along with some good coffee.

I don't mean to sound negative in my comments above, I actually enjoyed the dinner very much. Peter Gilmore is an extremely accomplished chef, and all the dishes were very well-executed and delicious. i was just expecting a few more of those magical truffle moments, to be more often trapped in their mysterious thrall. Most of the dishes were more subtle than that, again, quite delicious, but you know, it's a truffle dinner, hit me!

I'm not sure if we hit any home-runs with the wine-pairings, but it was fun swinging at the pitches! And I think we had a couple of solid base hits, like the Corton and cheese.

Again, overall a truly enjoyable evening with entertaining dining partners, delicious food, and good wine. It certainly encourages me to go back to Gilmore's soon, special dinner or not.

Thanks to all dining companions who generously shared their wine and mind

And Evan, if you sniff out some white truffles, give me a call :wink:

• 2 years later...

Oh, right, it's a pretty tiny space, and I do think they're often booked way out on weekends. However, I've discovered that it's not too hard to get a table during the week, and that's when they have the great tasting menus too, so if there's any way to schedule a weekday dinner, it's easier to score a reservation, and probably better too!

philadining.com

One more tiny piece of advice.... if they offer you the "champagne table" (a very small table just outside of the kitchen, I would skip it unless you are desperate. They offer you a glass of champagne on the house to make up for it, thus the name).

If this is your first time there, parking can also be a bit of a challenge (no Valet), so check out the web for nearby parking garages and give yourself a few extra minutes.

I don't mean to discourage people from visiting Gilmores....all in all it is a great little gem, but want you to be aware of these if you are a first time guest.