• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Chef Midwest - 2005 Beard Nominees & Winners

With the James Beard award nominees due to come out this Wednesday, does anyone have any predictions on who will be nominated? I've noticed most of the time it's crowded with Chicago Chefs and there is usually a non-Chicago darkhorse stuck somewhere in there. I'd like to hear your opinions on who you think might get a nod with a nomination with so much happening this year in the dining scene.

For me? I'm still an out-of-towner even though I did spend a few months in the midwest.

Jackie Pluton because Pluton has gotten so much good reviews this year by the major press.

Tony Mantauno because Spiaggia is long overdue.

Homaro Cantu because Moto has gotten so much attention worldwide (though I think he might get nominated for the Rising Star Chef as well)

Michael Kornick. MK, even going up or down review-wise, has been consistent here.

And a midwesterner out of Chicago that I have little knowledge about.

Others to consider? Carrie Nahabedian, Shawn McClain, Graham Elliot Bowles, Bruce Sherman

Again, I'm reletively away from the dining scene for a while now, so take it for what its worth. Just wanna hear your opinions! Feel free to answer if you think any of the midwesterners could take any of the more general nominations as well (best new, rising star.)

I too am also on the outside, looking in but I'd love to see Carrie Nahabedian get a nod.

I think that if this year were next, Chef Bowles could very well win a nomination. But, he's been at Avenues for less than a year so I think he's a long shot this time around.

Jacky Pluton is also a very good guess but the national media seem to say more good things about Pluton than locals, who -- by my unofficial tally -- are fairly mixed about the place.

What about Shawn McClain? Green Zebra is as hot as a Chicago restaurant has been over the past year and Spring has quickly become an institution.

Is there enough buzz about Alinea for Chef Achatz to get a nod this year as Best Chef Midwest? He hasn't cooked at a restaurant since July '04 but there's always a chance. If not, I see him as the front-runner for next year's award.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Shawn McClain comes to mind immediately. Green Zebra has gotten national (even international) attention and has been one of the hottest spots in town since opening a little more than a year ago. The food at Spring is better than ever, as well. But Tony Mantuano has been nominated for the last three years, so maybe it's his turn (or maybe he'll become the Susan Lucci of the Beard Awards). Sandro Gamba also seems to be a strong contender. I think Grant Achatz's time will be next year and if he doesn't win then, we can all scream "he was robbed."

Avenue's Graham Elliot Bowles would be a good local choice for Rising Star Chef.

I would love to see Chicago's Della Gossett (Charlie Trotter's and previously at NYC's Atlas after a long stint at Trio) get a nomination as Best Pastry Chef. She is a phenomenal talent.

They are out. Same as last year, just sub McClain for last year's winner, Kahan.

If the committe is going to continue to nominate 4 Chicago chefs out of perhaps the largest and most diverse region, Best Chef, Midwest is a misnomer.

Here is a link to the list of the 2005 nominees:

2005 Beard Award Nominees (Press Release)

Nominees, Best Chef: Midwest

Sandro Gamba

NoMi

Chicago, IL

Michael Kornick

MK

Chicago, IL

Tony Mantuano

Spiaggia

Chicago, IL

Shawn McClain

Spring

Chicago, IL

Lucia Watson

Lucia's

Minneapolis, MN

Edit to add: Nominees need to have cooked in the region for 5 years to be eligible for this award.

=R=

Edit to add:  Nominees need to have cooked in the region for 5 years to be eligible for this award.

=R=

Almost correct Ron. Working chef for 5 years; in the region for three. The exact quote from the eligibility standards is:

Nominees may be from any kind of dining establishment and must have been working as chefs for at least five years. The three most recent years must have been spent in the region in which the chef is being nominated.

Thanks for the link!

Although I think Graham Elliot Bowles may have been snubbed for Rising Star.

I think Bowles and Homaro Cantu might both have been neglected in consideration for the Rising Star award, because they started working at their respective restaurants too late in the year. Next year is when we will probably see them in consideration if they keep up the hard work. It would be interesting, too, in that both worked together at Trotter's.

It also should be noted that Channel 7-ABC News was nominated for a broadcasting award and the designers at Avec were dominated in two different categories for restuarant design.

Edited by Lactic Solar Dust (log)

Edit to add:  Nominees need to have cooked in the region for 5 years to be eligible for this award.

=R=

Almost correct Ron. Working chef for 5 years; in the region for three. The exact quote from the eligibility standards is:

Nominees may be from any kind of dining establishment and must have been working as chefs for at least five years. The three most recent years must have been spent in the region in which the chef is being nominated.

Thanks, Michael, for the clarification.

=R=

Three of the five nominees for best service (a national category) are in Chicago: TRU, Topolobampo and Spiaggia. NICE! TRU, particularly, has a knockout service team.

A bit surprised that Green Zebra didn't get a nomination as best new restaurant, especially considering that Vongerichten's Spice Market did. Spice Market is a beautiful space, but the food is somewhat derivative (good, however). I went right after they opened, so maybe it's a lot better now. But Green Zebra is way more innovative.

Green Zebra/Chef McClain weren't in my predictions mostly because I'm horribly biased. Having externed at Zebra.

Does anyone find it odd that majority of the time, the same people are nominated over again minus the chef that won and then someone else is plugged in? (as is the case for the midwest this year) I also have noticed it in the other categories... you have to wonder if the people who vote for nominations even eat at the restaurants.

But again, that may not be for this thread.

As for the five year rule-- that's possibly why Chef Achatz hadn't been nominated for the Midwest last year (I think his... fourth year was last year, I'm led to believe?)

Congratuations to all chefs nominated, however. It's still no easy task.

Now, anyone with winner predictions? haha.

I agree with the fact that it seems all they do is insert a new nominee to replace last years winner. It also seems that person has no real chance of winning. Its almost as though they like to make the chefs suffer through a few years of not winning. With that being said I hope this is the year to break that trend.

If it was my choice I would pick Shawn from that group.

As far as predictions go, I would have to guess Sandro or Tony.

I was also happy to see Lee Hefter up from Spago, I love that restaurant and its nice to see Lee getting some attention outside Wolfgangs shadow.

In my favorite catagory to guess in I'll take Mario Batali for chef of the year. I thought he should have won last year too. But Nobu is tough to pick against.

Yours in Food,

James Valvo

Chef de Cuisine

Tribute

I'm not familiar with the chefs from Chicago, nor their restaurants, but I did want to mention that in the very tough world of being a chef and running a restaurant, I think Lucia Watson has done extraordinary things. Her restaurant has been open for 20 years now in the same location (although the winebar was not part of the original space) and it is consistently held in high regard by diners in the area. I have eaten there many times in last 15 years and have always had good service and the meals have been consistently excellent.

Wonderful that in a topsy-turvy world of the restaurant industry she consistently shines as she works at her craft.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Anyone suprised to see Everest nominated in the "Outstanding Restaurant" category?

=R=

I thought this was a bit surprising. Probably the only other restaurant in Chicago I could see being up for this award would be Tru, but I don't think they've been around long enough to qualify.

We went to Everest about a year ago. Gorgeous room, great wine, very good food (but nothing that blew me away). I thought it was a little stuffy, but that's just my opinion.

-Josh

Edited by jesteinf (log)

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

I am happy for Lee Hefter to be nominated once again, he is truly deserving.

I would be so happy to see Rich Melman winning for Restranteur of the year from

Waterford Wedgewood. I think all of his contributions make him a winner, he is in

some great company of nominees!

a hui ho

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

They are out.  Same as last year, just sub McClain for last year's winner, Kahan.

If the committe is going to continue to nominate 4 Chicago chefs out of perhaps the largest and most diverse region, Best Chef, Midwest is a misnomer.

Can we petition the JB to give Chicago its own catagory and let the rest of our very talented chefs in midwest have the chance for some well-deserved recognition? I do not think that would be too much to ask.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Can we petition the JB to give Chicago its own catagory and let the rest of our very talented chefs in midwest have the chance for some well-deserved recognition?  I do not think that would be too much to ask.

It is rather disappointing that talented chefs outside Chicagoland don't seem to be recognized with nominations for JB Awards, but it seems to be the method of awards-giving to recognize the "best" among the Most Popular. Academy Award nominations are most guilty of this practice.

From the review linked above:

Those field-to-frying-pan relationships are one of the true joys of dining at Lucia's: This is what Minnesota tastes like. The short menu (generally four appetizers and four entrees) changes weekly, designed to take advantage of what's available from local growers and suppliers. It's also easy to appreciate Watson's commitment to value; at dinner, most entree prices fall in the upper teens, an exceptional price point for an enterprise of this ambition.

A superb grasp on classic cooking techniques does the rest. A smooth citrus beurre blanc was just the right accompaniment to a fennel-crusted halibut. A deeply flavorful cabernet sauce brought out every nuance in an expertly roasted leg of lamb. Gently seared cod, dressed with asparagus and wild mushrooms, tasted like the first whispers of spring.

Edited to add: It's definitely worth mentioning that the review linked and quoted above was penned by Rick Nelson who is also nominated for Beard Awards in journalism this year -- in 2 separate categories.

=R=

• 4 weeks later...

A few other notes of regional interest (so far). . . it appears that Avec has tied as the winner in the Outstanding Restaurant Design category.

In the Radio Food Show: Local category, the winner is Holiday Special which aired on WCCO-AM (MN & WI), hosted by Sue Zelickson and produced by Rocco Bonello and Dan Geiger. In the Radio Food Show: National category, the winner is P.R.I.’s the World hosted by Chicago's Steve Dolinsky and produced by David Leveille for Public Radio International.

=R=