• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggshell white

Florida Jim

Finally, I got the paint out from under my nails.

For the last month I have been a de facto house-painter (a profession I never aspired to) as a remodel of our home in NC was in its finishing stages in November and most of December I have been helping a friend prepare a “fixer-upper” in FL so that my daughter would have a place to stay when she returns from a two year adventure in LA. (If you’re keeping score, she was one day ahead of the quake and two ahead of the floods – makes a father weak in the knees.)

But she’s here now and the house was ready and the weather is lovely and my friend has given her a break on the rent which, around here, is as rare as monkey boy playing nice.

From my limited, paint fume influenced memory, some comments on wines over the last . . . hell, I don’t even know how long:

2002 Lindeman’s, Pinot Noir Bin 99:

La Tache in ain’t, but at $5.69, at my local Publix, it is not woody, reasonably concentrated and smells and tastes like pinot noir. And virtually anybody who has tried it loves it, be they geek or novice. In this season of eclectic tasters, it’s a fine bottle to have plenty of.

1994 Laurel Glen, Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mtn,:

Even in this, its mute stage, its better than 90% of domestic cabernet.

1994 Spellitich, Cabernet Sauvignon:

Open, smokey, delicious cab. from anywhere; I like it.

1995 Jassandra Vitoria (Coturri):

Volitile, disjointed and a complete waste of both sangiovese and cabernet.

2002 Brun, Beaujolais Blanc:

A tip of the cap to Joe millionaire for this suggestion; I have gone through half a case and will have to get more ASAP. Delicious chardonnay and it actually smells and tastes like chardonnay.

1999 Christoffel, Urziger Wurtzgarten (sp?) Spatlese:

Yum. Fun to drink.

2002 Baudry, Chinon “Les Granges:”

Something else I need another case of immediately; exceptional juice, clearly of its place and not even a hint of green.

1999 Michaud, Brouilly Cuvee Prestige:

A serious Brouilly that has powerful aromatics and, at present, a hard edge. Needs time in the cellar – all sorts of potential.

2000 Vieux Telegraph, CdP:

Nice, smooth wine with good integration, a solid core of fruit and some decent length. Not as alcoholic as the last bottle.

2002 Clos Roche Blanche, Gamay:

A wine that is everything one could ask of Gamay for the first half hour the bottle is open and then again, a day later. In between, it goes through many different moods; none of them as attractive.

1999 Chevillon, NSG Roncieres:

Just plain fabulous. Good now, good later; gives no indication of closing up. Complex, full in the mouth, deeply flavored; superb accompaniment to salad Nicoise. Robert Chevillon is my hero.

1999 Hirsch, Gruner Veltliner Lamm:

Maderized and sweet on the nose, similar on the palate – one hopes this is a bad bottle.

1996 Biale, Zinfandel Monte Rosso (magnum):

Rich, with smoke, stone and spice elements; some bottle bouquet and sufficient complexity to indicate development in bottle. About the only Zinfandel I have had recently that I would enjoy having again. Very nice wine.

Last, and definitely least;

Vintage unknown, Rancho Zabacco, Zinfandel:

Served at a party this acorn-infused syrup is all but unpalatable. Of course, it was the first empty of the evening. BTW, should you need to work out with weights, the bottle will serve nicely.

My sincere wishes for a healthy and peaceful new year to you all, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com