• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fifi's Favorite Eggplant Gratin

fifi

Fifi's Favorite Eggplant Gratin

• 1 eggplant
  • 1 large onion
  • 14 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 14 oz smoked sausage link, sliced 1/4 inch thick
  • herbs of choice, basil, thyme, fennel seeds etc.
  • salt

Peel the eggplant. Slice in half lengthwise and slice into half rounds, about 1/4 inch thick. Peel a large onion, cut in half then in half rounds about 1/4 inch thick.

Spray a shallow ovenproof dish with cooking spray or oil with olive oil. Alternate rows of eggplant and onion slices, overlapping slices and rows by about 1/3. Salt lightly, Sprinkle with herbs of your choice. (We like basil, thyme and fennel seeds.)

Distribute a 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes over the top.

Slice a 14 to 16 oz. smoked sausage link in 1/4 inch wheels. Distribute evenly across the top.

Bake at 325 in the lower part of the oven for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.

Late breaking news: When I have leftovers, I hollow out a nice crusty baguette and stuff it with this stuff. Let it sit for a while to absorb some juices, maybe press it. Slice and you have a dynamite sandwich. Adding some provolone wouldn't hurt. Actually, the sandwich is so good, I would make this just for sandwiches.

Lately, I have been preparing this dish without the sausage and liberal drizzles of olive oil and it still serves well as a sandwich ingredient and a side dish. This could probably be appealing to vegetarian friends.

For more eggplant discussion, please visit Eggplant in the Cooking forum.

Keywords: Main Dish, Vegetables, Easy

( RG278 )

• Like 1

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose