• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coral Gables

scubadoo97

The wife and I will be in Coral Gables next month for a conference. Looking for a couple of dinner spots and maybe one lunch. I will be pretty tied up in class for 2 days. No Cuban restaurants since I make Cuban food often and my wife would rather not eat it when there are other choices. She likes seafood, Asian as well as continental fare. I don't go out to dinner often so I don't want mediocre. I don't mind expensive if it's good. I would love to try Michys but it a good drive from CG. Suggestions?

Caffe Abbracci. Chispa. Take a look at the web sites and see what you think. Merrick Park is a relatively new nice "outdoor" mall in Coral Gables. The restaurants seem to change monthly. But take a walk around and see if anything catches your eye (if nothing else - it is a pleasant setting). Robyn

One of the nights I ate at Michy's, I was talking with Michelle about sweetbreads, and she suggested we go to Graziano's, in Coral Gables. It's really not that far. We went the next night. Graziano's steak was delicious, but their sweetbreads were not, nor were the potatoes we had, but I'm told we should have had different ones than normally come with the steak.

A great favorite of mine in CG used to be Chispa, which was always truly great food, and which I'd have said was an absolute "must", but the chef changed recently and I just don't know if it's still fabulous.

In all honesty, Michy's is 11.5 miles from Coral Gables, and with 3 turns in total (North on US1 which becomes I-95, right onto I-195, left on Biscayne Blvd. - US1 again actually), you can be there in fifteen minutes. Go for it!

(I haven't been to Christie's in 20 years!)

Every great restaurant I've found in Miami in recent years has come from the Miami New Times, and you can search within Coral Gables (65 restaurants reviewed there alone).

Please be sure to post about your meals.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

This is more a question than a suggestion.

A long time ago -- maybe 10 years even -- I had what I remember as one of my favorite dinners in this country at Norman's.  Is it still good?  (Was it ever?  Was I just misguided?)

Norman Van Aken (Norman's) was one of the original Floribbean chefs. Made his name at Louie's Backyard in Key West maybe 30 years ago. He wandered here and there in south Florida - and a lot of his meals stick in my mind. Norman's was his signature restaurant - but from what I've read (haven't been for a long time) - it has been over the hill for a while. I always liked the work he did before he opened Norman's better than I liked Norman's - but Norman's was quite good in its time. Robyn

what about Ortanique? (not sure of the spelling - it has been a while since I have eaten Cindy's food and loved it then)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Thanks for the replies.  Markk you are right Michys is not that far to drive for a good meal.  I also appreciate the Miami New Times link.  Too bad to hear that Normans has not kept up.  This is a too common occurrence.

I don't think it's fair to say that Norman's hasn't kept up when no one here has actually eaten there in years! Having said that, I haven't either. Hmmmmm. Actually, the reason I was posting, is to let you know that there is a LOT of construction on Biscayne Blvd from 195 to Michy's. Plus the usual Miami traffic (esp. if you are going any time after 3PM). Expect the drive to take more like 45 min. Bring a flask.

there is a LOT of construction on Biscayne Blvd from 195 to Michy's.  Plus the usual Miami traffic (esp. if you are going any time after 3PM).  Expect the drive to take more like 45 min.  Bring a flask.

In that case, stay on 95 north and go past the exit for 195, and take the exit marked "NW 79th St/SR-934", then hang a right on 79th, and another right on Biscayne and come south ten blocks. It'll add 4 minutes to your trip. I come via 123rd. St all the time and it's still all of 15-18 minutes at night, and well, well worth it.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

The wife and I will be in Coral Gables next month for a conference.  Looking for a couple of dinner spots and maybe one lunch.  I will be pretty tied up in class for 2 days.  No Cuban restaurants since I make Cuban food often and my wife would rather not eat it when there are other choices.  She likes seafood, Asian as well as continental fare.  I don't go out to dinner often so I don't want mediocre.  I don't mind expensive if it's good.  I would love to try Michys but it a good drive from CG.  Suggestions?

I almost forgot Xixon, which is a cute little Spanish retail/wine store, where they have a great lunch-Spanish tortilla, octopus salad, etc., lotta tapas, and inexpensive wines. There are only about 12 seats scattered about, and it has a certain charm that comes from the owner and her staff, and the casual nature of her customers. Very Spanish.

Just wanted to quickly contribute here:

Norman's - ate there a few months ago, food was good but my dish, some sort of white fish, can't quite remember, was bland. Nice wine list, but IMO not worth the price for being merely OK. It was upper $20s to $30s/entree.

Restaurant Brana - a relative newcomer to CG, where the food is very, very good. Lots of high-quality ingredients being used, some local, mostly imported, which ends up tasting great but also is quite expensive (a bit over $200 for 2 with wine). They have a website http://www.restaurantbrana.com.

La Cofradia - This one is tough to describe, I suppose you could say it's modern, French-influenced Peruvian food. Definitely worth having a meal here, again you can check them out on miaminewtimes.com and opentable.com.

If you do go to Ortanique, the fish is fantastic, and do try to get the Jamaican Blue Mtn. Coffee ice cream dessert...

Oh, and one of the nicer restaurants, OLA steak, in Merrick Park looks like it just closed...

That being said...if you can swing it, go to Michy's, it's that good!

Thanks everyone for the excellent suggestions.

Michy's is on the list and I plan to make reservations via opentable.com

Xixon so great I hope to make it there for lunch or dinner one night.

I just looked at Barana's web site and was sorry to see they are closed for a family medical emergency. Hope they are okay

Chispa is off the list because I think the club atmosphere on a Fri or Sat will offset the reason for going which is the food. I'm not into the bar scene

Ortanique is an option if the seafood is fantastic.

• 4 weeks later...

Well we just got back from Coral Gables. I had a educational conference so spent too much time in classes but did get to eat some great food. Since we got in very late Friday, traffic was hell, we just walked around in the vicinity of the Westin and had a salad and pizza at a little place. Saturday dinner was at La Confradia. My wife had grouper with a yucca cake and the waiter said the veal chop was the best so I tried that. It was cook nicely with corn risotto. Both meals were good, not fantastic or special in any way but good. Sunday dinner was at Michy's. I stared with the foie gras appetizer which was excellent. Like eating butter, it was so rich. My wife had the ceviche which was very bright and fresh. I opted for the sweetbreads and veal cheek ravioli since this is not something I would make at home. My wife had the cod fish dinner. Both were excellent. To end the meal we had the bread pudding which was not like any bread pudding I've every had. It was great. The food at Michy's was excellent and the prices better than the previous dinner in Coral Gables. No doubt the rent is cheaper on that block of Biscayne Blvd. Before heading out today we finally found Xixons Spanish Deli tucked away in a little professional building. This was one of the best finds of the trip. It was 11:30 in the morning and I found my self eating tiny stuffed squid in black ink and a couple of other tapas before ordering a couple of sandwiches to take on the road. To make the trip even more interesting we drove back across the state via the Tamiami Trail instead of Alligator Ally. I have lived in Fl all my life and this was the first time I drove part of the Trail. Lots of fun.

Thanks to all for the recommendations. I would go back for Michy's and Xixons they were both that good.

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

So, where exactly is Xixon? I'm going to be in Miami for a couple of days (April 1 & 2) and would like to try this little deli. My cousin actually lives in Coral Gables, so we might be there on April 2. If we don't make it there, at least my cousin can check it out!

So, where exactly is Xixon?  I'm going to be in Miami for a couple of days (April 1 & 2) and would like to try this little deli.  My cousin actually lives in Coral Gables, so we might be there on April 2.  If we don't make it there, at least my cousin can check it out!

1801 Coral Way

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/search/restau....php?oid=133144

Please, come back and tell us about it. I haven't made it there, yet...

So, where exactly is Xixon?  I'm going to be in Miami for a couple of days (April 1 & 2) and would like to try this little deli.  My cousin actually lives in Coral Gables, so we might be there on April 2.  If we don't make it there, at least my cousin can check it out!

Brush up on your Spanish if you go. There was not much English spoken. I did a lot of pointing to the tapas that were made and on display. A wonderful experience.

Brush up on your Spanish if you go. There was not much English spoken. I did a lot of pointing to the tapas that were made and on display. A wonderful experience.

Hehe. I don't mind the "point and grunt" method a bit, and resort to it in several of the markets here!