• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb Sausage

Norman Walsh

I would like to try making lamb sausage and looking through quite a few recipes they all seem to go for lean lamb and about 20% pork back fat.

I would like to know the reason of pork fat, why not lamb fat.

I know you need the fat to help with the primary bind and texture but why not use all lamb.

wallie

Wallie - Most recipes tend to use Pork fat as it is fairly good neutral medium. You could use lamb fat but it tends to go rancid fairly easy and has a very strong flavour that would easily overwhelm the taste of the sausage. I'd recommend that you try use the pork fat if you can.

My meat supplier sells a kosher lamb sausage - so there is not pork fat in it. I'm assuming it contains lamb fat only. I'm not crazy about it, because I don't like the seasonings they add to it - but it's not overly lamby. I'd try it with the lamb fat.

Hi Wallie,

I make a number of lamb sausages using lamb fat and like the result. I don't eat pork but have never had any problems substituting other fats for pork fat in sausage recipes as long as the forcemeat is kept cold and is well mixed to form the primary bind, this traps the fats in a protein shell and the fats will not render out of the sausages when cooked, leaving them juicy and full of flavour. Check my blog for some lamb sausage ideas, plus a few others!

Nungkysman

Regards,

Richard

"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"

Nungkysman: Food for the Body and the Soul.