• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eel

jkonick

I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure there'd be some Italian, especially Sicilian, recipes available.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

skin it and cut it into cubes (you can debone but i dont mind it on the bone), lightly saute it in a little olive oil with garlic and chili pepper, and add some crushed tomatos and white wine ... you can have it with crusty bread or on pasta and its amazing

There's a Flemish recipe called "Paling in't Groen" which uses river eel rather than sea eel (not sure how different they are)

Cube eel and saute with garlic and shallots, then remove eel, deglaze pan with white wine and fish stock and add eel back to the pan, let eel simmer very slowly for 20 mins.

Blanch a mix of 400g spinach, 50g chervil, 50g sorrel, 25g parsley, 50g nettles and turn into a rough puree. Add this to eel together with marjoram and chives. Serve with thin cut chips.

skin it and cut it into cubes (you can debone but i dont mind it on the bone), lightly saute it in a little olive oil with garlic and chili pepper, and add some crushed tomatos and white wine ... you can have it with crusty bread or on pasta and its amazing

I like the way this sounds...alot.

jkon, does eel have that delicious gelatnous/fatty texture without assistance or is that because of the (asian) preperations were all so used to?

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

That does sound good. I saw five skinned eels at my fishmonger Tuesday for $3.99 each. They were about 14 or so inches long. I couldn't think of how to prepare them at the time. Now I do.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Well, I love a classic matelote, freshwater fish stew. Mixed with other freshwater fishes, Alsacian style, with riesling or pinot gris, egg yolks and creme fraiche.

I first make a quick fumet with fish heads, bones, mirepoix (white and light green leek, onion, carrot - no celery), bouquet garni, and riesling or pinot gris; about 1 1/2 pounds fish heads/bones, 2 cups each water and wine to about 5 ounces onion, 3 ounces each leeks and carrots; bouquet also contains a small fennel frond, 1 ounce or so). 30 minute simmer, strain.

Add fishes, about 4 lbs total, into gently simmering fumet, in small batches - ensuring the simmer does not cool down unduly. Cook till done, about 20 minutes. Remove fish and keep warm, reduce fumet by 1/2, beat 3 egg yolks together with 1/2 cup creme fraiche (or cream), temper with simmering fumet, and whisk back into fumet, at very low heat; stir until thickened, toss fish in to heat through, salt, pepper, serve.

I also love freshwater fishes with green sauce - a ravigote, or vinaigrettes.

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

I think I know what I'm having for dinner tonight!

Well, I love a classic matelote, freshwater fish stew. Mixed with other freshwater fishes, Alsacian style, with riesling or pinot gris, egg yolks and creme fraiche.

Paul, thanks for that recipe. Outstanding. I've had this before and not known the name.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Paul, thanks for that recipe. Outstanding. I've had this before and not known the name.

You bet, Johnny. Any chance I have to deal with a good Alsacian Riesling, I take it!

By the way, off topic, but some friends of mine recently returned from a trip to Alsace and had a great time chez Marc Tempé. An impromptu road trip yielded a tasting of over 30 bottles, with the winemaker himself.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais