• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with friends

Florida Jim

With smoked salmon spread and crackers:

2002 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos des Allées:

About as pretty and soulful as wine can be; lots of cut, smooth texture, deep flavors and good sustain. I can see this getting even better with time in the cellar but its glorious now. 12% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $7 on sale; worth three times the price.

With ginger marinated bok choy and mushrooms on rice noodles:

2005 Dom. des Roches Neuves, Samur l’Insolite:

Thierry Germain is usually too heavy-handed with the barrel regimen for me, but this 100% chenin blanc is charming, ripe, compact and straightforward with no evidence of wood. Excellent with the dish. 13% alcohol, imported by Jon-David Headrick and about $26; a little steep for me but good wine.

With assorted cheeses:

2001 Jorge Moreira, Poeira:

Rich full bodied, gently oaky and smooth; made from port grapes but unfortified its good accompaniment to the cheeses. 13% alcohol, imported by Eric Solomon and about $30, on sale; this too is a bit steep for me.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com