• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

IL Toscana

Daniel

It was a nice place.. The four of us had a really nice dinner there.. It was right by the Douglaston Train Stop.. We parked in the outdoor lot right across from the restaurant and they validated our ticket when we left.. The place has been around for over 20 years..It has an old school feel to it.. There were older male waiters.. Ours was from Italy.. Place is a little expensive but the food is of high quality..

First, a nice bread basket was brought to the table.. There was Italian Bread and some Facaccia sp? too. We started out with a bunch of apps.. We ate family style although the restaurant is not set up that way.. Cesar Salad, Tomato Salad, and Duck Eggrolls .. I know what you are thinking about the duck egg rolls. They were good, they werent called egg rolls but you get the idea.. Had confit of duck inside, it was a nice starter to have on the table.. The Cesar Salad was particularly good.. Had a nice anchovy presence and I liked they added capers.. Tomatoes in winter I thought??? but, they wanted to order it.. It turns out I was impressed and I think a good measure of the restaurant.. They tomatoes were heirlooms.. Not grainy at all and as good of a tomato you are going to get in New York some months.

Next came the Pasta.. We ordered a Taglietelle with duck sausage, foie gras and truffles.. It was a very rich sauce.. Really good.. The also offer half portions of any pasta dish.. We also ordered Nonna's Lasagna. This was a Bolognese Lasagna.. It was very good.. Tasted very strongly of parmesan.. We also ordered a half order of there special pasta.. It was a spinach and ricotta dumpling served in a red sauce.. They gave us four golf ball shaped dumplings.. Good stuff.

For meat we had a big ol veal chop and these Crispy Bread Bay Scallops served in a garlic parmesan sauce.. They were served with this garlic parmesan sauce.. I loved these little guys.. They were cooked really well. Crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside.. Not too much breading either..

For dessert we had there Napolean? I was confused as to why an Italian Place would call something let alone serve something called a Napolean.. It was like a lobster claw covered with zabayon and whipped cream combination.. This is just over the top good! It aint pretty, it aint classy, its a big ol mixture of whipped cream and eggs.

So yeh, I would tell you to check this place out.. I am not gaga over the place, but if it was in my hood, I would go there for sure. You can tell its a locals kind of place.. The manager is in a suit saying hi to the regulars, its a real nice feel..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I believe it's the other way around, Pan: the restaurant's actual name is Il Toscano.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Here are some of the dishes..

Nonna's Lasagna:

gallery_15057_2971_136169.jpg

Pasta with duck sausage and truffle cream.. We ate it for awhile before I remembered

gallery_15057_2971_96202.jpg

Dumplings:

gallery_15057_2971_124379.jpg

Veal chops: There was pancetta on top.. We got two orders of this.. Good stuff...

gallery_15057_2971_112420.jpg

Chocolate chip ice cream with sour cherry.. Made at the restaurant.

gallery_15057_2971_26541.jpg

"Napolean" A little almond a little coconut

gallery_15057_2971_877.jpg

Oh baby:

gallery_15057_2971_75642.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)