• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with friends

Florida Jim

First:

Pecan crackers with Oveja cheese (sheep’s milk):

2005 Jean-Pierre et Jean-François, Chignin Anne de la Biguerne: Vin de Savoie at 12% alcohol; cooked pineapple, flowers and tonic water nose that gives the impression its surrounded by fresh air; the same flavors in the mouth with a pleasant tang, fine concentration, lovely balance and good cut; long, fresh finish. An excellent pairing. Imported by Charles Neal Selection and about $10; maybe the best $10 bottle of wine I ever had.

Second:

Pasta with grilled and lightly smoked onions, chopped assorted olives, EVOO and shaved parmesan:

2002 Allemand, Cornas:

The first two bottles of this I had were not inspiring - this one was terrific; lightly smoky on the nose with a complex, olive, dark fruit and meat tone profile; harmonious and grippy in the mouth with flavors that follow and expand upon the nose, good flesh, nice balance and length. My impression is more Chaillot then Reynard and even if this isn’t for long term aging, what a joy to have a 12.5%, authentic Cornas, ready now. Another excellent pairing. Imported by Chelsea Ventures and about $35; I’d buy it again.

Third:

A cake made of only pressed figs and nuts and slices of Etorki cheese (another sheep’s milk):

2001 Zenato, Amarone (375 ml):

While I applaud the format, this was rather unremarkable Amarone; not oxidized or out of balance it had relatively pleasant milk chocolate and fruit cake spice tones mixed with solid black and red fruit, 16% alcohol, texturally smooth, balanced and fair length. Not much “there” there but still a decent pairing. Imported by Locascio and about $25; I’ll not buy it again.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com