• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Parfait

Carolyn Tillie

As a space-saving measure for Thanksgiving, I purchased a 24-count case of Pilsnerglasses to use as water glasses. I liked the size of the glass as well as the fact that it won't take up a lot of space on an otherwise-crowded table (two wine glasses, etc...)

Well Kevin had the brilliant idea that we could concoct some fancy styled parfait in them as well (since I bought way more than I need) and have duly gone about buying extended parfait/ice tea spoon on eBay.

Now its time to develop the recipe... I fondly recall my mom making parfaits in the 70s and the possibilities are endless! I've got people coming who insist on pumpkin pie, but how about a deconstructed pumpkin pie with a pumpkin mousse, a layer of crumbled molasses cookies, a layer of whipped cream, and perhaps a layer of macerated cranberries?

I'm also thinking of chocolate mousse with cranberries or pears with an almond meringue crumble. Come summertime, I'm sure I'll have fun with fresh berries and shortbread, but I'm in winter mode now.

What are some other ideas for a Thanksgiving parfait?

Carolyn, my SIL's MIL has served a pumpkin mousse layers with whipped cream and crushed gingersnaps very successfully every couple of years (wanting to rotate desserts), and the parfait is our favorite!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I did a lot of parfaits in my personal chef business because they serve so easily. My one caution is about fridge space - a tray or two of parfaits can really put your fridge out of commission.

Some really nice ones I know are a coconut rice pudding parfait with fresh pineapple and macaroon crumbles, or key lime parfaits which are embarrassingly dead easy to do but people love them, and a tiramisu eggnog trifle that you can make as minis. None is exactly Thanksgivingy in a traditional sense, but they're all very good.

I think the idea of a parfait for dessert, is appealing given how heavy the traditional Thanksgiving meal can be. Here is an odd combination for your consideration, a sparing bottom layer of heavily rum-laden mincemeat with alternating layers of pumkin mousse and whipping cream. An odd combination which lends a variety of texture to a traditional parfait. But definitely odd...

Edited to add, bonus, you can re-serve the same as a Christmas dessert, haha!

Edited by Squirrelly Cakes (log)

Great ideas and I'm definitely getting inspired!

No worries on the fridge space, Abra... I've got three <gulp> refrigerators and, for Thanksgiving Day, the use of a fourth.

okay, one fridge is a WINE fridge so I guess that doesn't really count, huh?

If any of the fridges have a rack shelf you can make the parfaits with a tilted layer by wedging the bottom of the glass against a strand of the rack and lean it againt the side of the fridge.

From the J E L L O book

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

As a space-saving measure for Thanksgiving, I purchased a 24-count case of Pilsnerglasses to use as water glasses. I liked the size of the glass as well as the fact that it won't take up a lot of space on an otherwise-crowded table (two wine glasses, etc...)

Well Kevin had the brilliant idea that we could concoct some fancy styled parfait in them as well (since I bought way more than I need) and have duly gone about buying extended parfait/ice tea spoon on eBay.

Now its time to develop the recipe... I fondly recall my mom making parfaits in the 70s and the possibilities are endless! I've got people coming who insist on pumpkin pie, but how about a deconstructed pumpkin pie with a pumpkin mousse, a layer of crumbled molasses cookies, a layer of whipped cream, and perhaps a layer of macerated cranberries?

I'm also thinking of chocolate mousse with cranberries or pears with an almond meringue crumble. Come summertime, I'm sure I'll have fun with fresh berries and shortbread, but I'm in winter mode now.

What are some other ideas for a Thanksgiving parfait?

Thats actually not a parfait. Its actually just a mixed dessert in a glass. Hell you could even call it a coupe because it is as much a coupe as a parfait.

A parfait is actually only a single substance, not a collection of things in a glass, aka trifle. A parfait is basically a frozen mousse similar to that of a bombe. It has yolks and meringue folded together seperately while bombe is solely yolks, and it is also naturally combined with other layers of ice cream in a singular mold.

The reason why parfait carried over into America as, well basically a coupe or a trifle, is because of the original shape the parfait was bolded into. Which happens to be the cylindrical shape of that of the champagne glass we so commonly see today as being exemplified for the "American Parfait".

But I guess in this day in age we can call things whatever we want. I just thought you'd like the background.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Thanks, Anthony! As a self-proclaimed historian, I DO appreciate the insight (and I guess I should know better...) I'm currently working a book on the eating habits of the Victorian gentry and this only emphasizes the reality that I need to check and double-check every aspect of my book!

Pierre Herme did some cool parfaits for Fine Cooking some years back. I'll go spelunking and see if I can find them.

ETA: Score! Here's one of them: Chocolate Rice Pudding Parfait with Gianduja Whipped Cream & Caramelized Rice Krispies

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/recipes...ng_parfait.aspx

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/recipes...ese_mousse.aspx

(Second link is the cream cheese mousse, which is used as an element in the parfait.)

Edited by RuthWells (log)

Nice idea; I've wanted parfait glasses and this could be a good alternative to use for multiple purposes.

Not necessarily a Thanksgiving parfait, but one reason I want some parfait-like glasses is to serve Viennese Eiskaffee. These are so simple and are especially wonderful in the summer for a refreshing and simple dessert. It is simply vanilla ice cream and strong, iced black coffee in a parfait glass with whipped cream on top. Can garnish with some dark chocolate shavings.

I've read of, but have never had a "Mazagran" another iced Viennese coffee drink. It's composed of iced coffee with Maraschino liqueur and rum. Ice cream is not a component but might be a nice variation none the less...

edited to add: These glasses would also be great for serving Zuni's Espresso Granita/Whipped Cream parfait and all sorts of variations with different granitas. A nice dessert I've had at Kokkari was tangerine granita and yogurt sorbet. They didn't layer it, but I think this would work great in a parfait-like format as well.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"