• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butcher's block

I am thinking that ethnic (particularly chinese) shops would be your friend in this respect. I can't recall anything specific at the moment, but I believe I've seen big circular chinese style butcher blocks for relatively cheap (20-50$) at an ethnic store or too. Think China, Thai Hour, Marche Hawaii, and another chinese grocer nearby out in St. Laurent.

I will keep my eye out for you and let you know if I see anything.

If John Boo's is as expensive in Montreal as it is in Vancouver, I totally understand why you want to give them a miss. Fact is, while Boos is really well made, it's extremely over-priced.

Some options:

1) IKEA. Believe it or not, you can get pretty good butcher blocks from the Swedes. They use rubber-wood rather than maple, but for the price they're a bargain. Buy 2 or 3.

2) Ask your local cabinet shop. I had my block custom made, and it cost less than $100 for a 2" thick board, 18" x 24" ... end grain maple.

A.

• 2 weeks later...

Simon, I haven't looked at this board for a few days, but I would have to recommend Costco, at the moment, as they have a Rosco board made from end pieces (Quebec maple) for $38. I bought one of these a couple of years ago and it has been excellent. I also have a chinese round board, purchased years ago for $16, but it is subject to small splits, as is cut from a stump. It also leeches small amounts of red stain when cleaned. The maple board from end pieces is much better.

You may also find laminated bamboo boards in Chinese stores; they are a good value but thinner than most of us would like.