• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

IA - Ames, Ankeny, anywhere nearby? Where to eat?

dimsumfan

I'll be in Ames and Ankeny, IA next week and am looking for anything decent/unique to eat. In the past, I've gone into Des Moines for Big Daddy's BBQ, but I know that's closed. There's a decent Vietnamese restaurant in Des Moines also - at least an interesting option compared to anything else I've found.

So... I'm open to suggestions for what/where to eat in this part of Iowa. For example, is it worth a trip to Rube's in Waukee if I can't find something special any closer?

Thanks!

My rec is 2 years old but the place has been open for ~20 years, so I think it's fairly safe; if not I'm sure the locals will eventually weigh-in.

Aunt Maude's was a very pleasant surprise to me on a visit a couple of summers ago. I really hadn't expected much in the way of dining there (college town and all - not meaning to offend!) but we had a very nice meal there - I can't remember exact dishes but there were 5 of us so we tried a pretty wide variety of dishes and there wasn't a miss in the lot.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 2 weeks later...

Went to school in Ames,

For BBQ, try Battles, in campus town

Aunt Maudes is good.

There's also a good place in Story City, just north of Ames, the name is escaping me right now.

Ankeny is kind of a waste land

Rubes is alright, Not my favorite place for steak.

On the NW side of Des Moines, in Perry, there's a B & B with a restaurant, thats good, Can't remember the name. But anyone there on the ground will know.

Most of the good places are hard to find, in stripmalls, or don't seem like they're good.

Best of luck, hope this isn't too late.