• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding Shower Appetizers

Meursalt

Hi everyone, I'm preparing a small cocktail party (wedding shower) for about 40 or so people and was wondering if you guys had some cost effective and unconventional apps/finger food ideas? In the past I've done mini empanadas, the usuall rolls and wraps, and mini pull pork sandwiches. But since this is a wedding shower, I'm looking to make some dainty apps while cutting the cost down (not adding caviar on everything...). Be grateful for any ideas! Thanks!!

Hi!

Tomato basil mozerella skewers (On toothpicks) look pretty and are easy to make.

Drizzle with oilve oil, salt and pepper. And if you wish balsamic vinegar.

Stuffed mushrooms, deviled eggs, can usually be made for a decent price.

For easy fill ins to what you are already making- bowls of various olives

I am drawing some blanks here, but small plates are my favorite way to eat, so I am sure I will add more later!

An easy and relatively inexpensive thing to do would be a simple terrine...I threw a cocktail party two years ago for my friend Louisa's 25th birthday, and we did a chicken liver pate terrine that was a big hit (the recipe was from the Gourmet cookbook, I think). Not too expensive, easy (since you don't have to individualize it), and impressive.

Another great idea is mini-blinis or even potato pancakes with creme fraiche, smoked salmon, and dill or chives. Really pretty, elegant, and tasty.

I've had great success with a curry chutney spread that layers cream cheese mixed with curry powder, chutney, bacon, and chives. You could easily do an individual version of this...maybe whip the cream cheese or mix it with a bit of creme fraiche to make it softer, do a dollop of that, some chutney, top with scallions and crumbled bacon. It would be great on little toasts...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Cherry tomatoes; slice off top and scoop out innards. Make a mixture of goat cheese (with a little cream cheese to tame it, if you wish) and chopped basil. Put a drop of balsamic vinegar in first, if you like, then add the cheese. You could riff on this a number of ways. I like them because they're nice and tidy - a one-bite app.

I am catering a wedding for 60 people next week, and I'm doing a lot of little finger food items. One that's really easy and cheap is bacon wrapped enoki mushrooms. I got the recipe from food and wine's website, but it's really simple. Basically take some enoki mushrooms, a strip of scallion (or you could use chive) and wrap together with a half a piece of bacon. Line 'em up on a baking sheet and bake (although I don't remember exactly what temp right now). Fritters of various vegetables also make good, cheap apps, but they're a little bit time consuming as you have to fry them. Also, there are a lot of good suggestions for finger foods on the special occasions forum.

Go to the grocery store and buy a spiral cut ham, some bags of decent dinner rolls and several types of mustards. After warming and glazing the ham, the slices almost fall off the bone. Pile the ham on a platter and let people make their own mini sandwhiches with their mustard of choice. Tasty and inexpensive.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Oh, one more. Also involving bacon. So shoot me.

Also from the Gourmet cookbook - BLTomatoes...cherry tomatoes scooped out, filled with lettuce mixed with mayo and salt and pepper, topped with crumbled bacon. So delicious, and hugely popular, especially when you use excellent bacon.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007