• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

peaches, apples, asian pears

katbert

North Star Orchards had the start of their asian pears and more great honeycrisp apples at the Rittenhouse Square farmer's market yesterday in the pouring rain. They also have two kinds of peaches that have distinctly different flavours than the ones from Fahnestock towards the western side of the market- I don't find any particular type better than the others; they all taste peachy in different delicious ways... Kudos for the vendors for setting up in the downpour.

first asian pears of the year!  i knew i shoulda gone.  dang.

*happy dance*

I shoulda gone too, but just knowing I can have them later this week is making me deliriously happy. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Just ate what's probably one of the last peaches of the season.  Boo hoo!

But now I'm eating the first Asian pear of the season.  Woo hoo!

Woo hoo! Just had my first Hosui pear too! **Happy Dance** They are crisp, incredibly juicy and delicious. The best fruit in the whole fruit world. Yum!

I just went to the Headhouse Market and bought a bag of pears and a bag of two kinds of peaches. Awesome!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 month later...

NorthStar Orchards is at several other markets, including the West Chester Growers' Market, Church St & Chestnut St, Sat 9-1.

This Saturday will be the last day of the NorthStar Fruit Explorer's Club, their CSA coop group ... they will be at West Chester through at least Dec 2nd.

They are offering bulk purchase of Asian pears & apples (1/2 bushel or bushel only) and butters ... contact them by email (northstarorchard@aol.com) for details. I'm going in with a few friends on 1/2 bushel (= 20 lbs, for $35).

I've also asked them about allowing Fruit Explorer members to pick up at Rittenhouse ... there aren't enough members apparently to make that a possibility, so if you're interested in the Club (for details see North Star Orchards Fruit Explorers' Club), let them know if you'd like to be able to pick up in CC PHL ...

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK