• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creative architecture

torakris

I wouldn't exactly call this creative but I thought it was cute.

A McDonalds in Fukushima prefecture (Iwaki City), Japan

gallery_6134_2590_7068.jpg

Anyone else have any interesting pictures?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

too funny!

I wish I had pictures of the big chicken on top of Ron's Roost in Cheviot (western Cincinnati, Ohio). Also wish I had a photo of me and my friends on top of it one wild night in the 70s ...

As a matter of fact, all the creative architecture I can recall has to do with chickens.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I wish I had pictures of the big chicken on top of Ron's Roost in Cheviot (western Cincinnati, Ohio). 

If one were to send me a new battery for my camera, I could probably take care of that request. :wink:

Also wish I had a photo of me and my friends on top of it one wild night in the 70s ...

That was YOU? Hello, Mother. Did you ever find that photo album of mine that you "put away" for me sometime before I moved out an indeterminate number of years ago?

:laugh::laugh:

Knew I should have snapped a photo of the Twisted Treat ice cream stand on Frankford Avenue on the way up to the Far Northeast yesterday! (I could have sworn, though, that I saw a picture of this stand on the Pennsylvania board recently.) Philosophically, it's a sibling of the McDonald's that kicked off this topic, as the structure imitates a product it sells--in the case of Twisted Treat, a frozen custard cone.

For you architecture theory fans, both of these structures are ducks. (Bonus points to anyone who can identify my reference. Mad props to anyone who can identify my reference and post a photo of it!)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I know! I know!

Robert Venturi and Denise Scott Brown, Learning from Las Vegas. Brilliant book. A duck is a structure whose architecture acts like a sign, telling you what the building does. Yes?

On topic: There was a cheese store in New Hampshire, forget the town but near Lake Winnipesaukee, shaped like a wheel of Swiss: round, with a wedge taken out where the door was. Also in NH, this one in Wolfeboro, a cheese store called "The Loose Caboose" in, yup, a free-standing train caboose. (I guess the train reference is for you, too, Sandy.)

Edited to add: the duck definition.

Edited by Margo (log)

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

Congratulations, Margo!

And the definition of a duck is also correct--though, as in the case of the actual duck--a roadside sandwich stand on Long Island--the building calls attention not to its function but its surroundings (when it was built, largely farmland with lots of waterfowl).

I will be passing a "decorated shed" in just a little bit as I head to the South Philly Acme. Namely, Geno's Steaks on 9th Street--a garishly decorated shed.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

There are a couple of McDonalds around here that were remodeled to be retro. They look similar to this:

http://flickr.com/photos/agilitynut/107903...57594074051997/

Syracuse NY had one of the sole remaining "original" McDonalds and local archictural history buffs tried valiantly to save it when the new one was scheduled to be built. Alas - the cost of acquiring the proiperty behind it and movign the buildingh back so the new one could be constructed near the road was more than the owner could justify and down it went. I don't recall liking the food but it was a cool building.