• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pithivier of Wood Pigeon with glazed chestnuts

sbb1979

Ate at the wonderful Galvin in London last year and had the Pithivier of Wood Pigeon with glazed chestnuts.

Resembled the classic Pithivier only in that it was puff pastry in a cartwheel shape - no sign of the almonds from the gateau, but was a fantastic recipe anyway. In my last restaurant we made them (again in starter portions) with foie gras and smoked duck inside, but the pigeon and chestnuts worked so well.

Any suggestions? And seeing as Wood Pigeon should usually be served really quite pink, how would that work in a small pastry such as this?

Anyway, am sure that I'll work something out - isn't that half the fun of it - but any help would be greatly appreciated.

describe further... did the pithivier contain a whole pigeon breast or a forcemeat?

Was diced I think, but was about 8 months ago. Should have been more observant, but wasn't thinking too much about it at the time.

I suppose, shredding it with something to bind it and keep it moist would work...

When we made them with foie gras and smoked duck, we made a mousse to bind it all together. I thought that it was too rich though even for someone who normally loves foie gras.

We used to make game tourtes at my last restaurant, in which a very coarse forcemeat of wild game was cooked in a tart shell with a puff pastry top. The real key to the dish, I suppose, is to use real wild game; you can't substitute for that strong, funky flavor. Quick recipe: debone a wild hare or a combination of pigeon, pheasant and/or partridge and cut the meat into cubes, reserving some tenderloin or breast . Add the usual 30% fat back cubes to the meat. Marinate the meat in red wine, salt, pepper and spices. Grind the meat and fat coarsely. Season and add herbs if you desire. Fold the reserved cubes and some diced foie gras into the mix (chestnuts here as well I suppose). Line a tart shell with pate brisee and fill with the mix. Top with a piece of puff pastry, make an attractive design on top, egg wash and bake. Make a red wine sauce from the bones.

Filling sounds really good.

You'd blind bake the brisee?

I'm thinking that I'll probably try both, but am intending of making them in starter portions and will therefore probably just do the two discs of Puff pastry, one smaller than the other. Filling on the smaller one and press the bigger one down with the back of a smaller pastry cutter.

And then maybe a madeira jus with a tiny bit of chocolate in it....

I think the puff dough on the bottom might sog out during cooking, hence the use of brisee. Roll the dough somewhat thin, dock it and set it up in non-stick financier pans for app size. You probably can get by without blind-baking. I'd like to be of more help, but I'd have to go back and make it myself to really troubleshoot.