• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine with dinner

Florida Jim

Dinner with friends:

With Napa cabbage salad with cashews:

N/V Mont Marcal, Cava Extremarium:

Very easy to drink, dry and a fine bead. Ideal with the dish.

With grilled Mahi-mahi and lemon pasta:

2002 Marc Colin, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Caillerets:

A little oaky to begin with but this element morphed into a vanilla bean scent with time in the glass; citrus and nuts in a creamy but still bright palate, classy, integrated and balanced; plenty of length. Too early to open another but I’m glad we tasted this bottle. Very pretty wine and excellent with the meal.

After-thought:

2000 Alain Michaud, Brouilly Prestige de Vielles Vignes:

All vines older than 85 years; this is concentrated, almost brooding, black fruit driven gamay that is focused, balanced, structured and very, very deep. A remarkable wine and surely as fine as this appellation produces. Shows quite young.

Another:

With grilled veggies and an avocado and beet salad:

2000 Kreydenweiss, Pinot Gris Clos Rebberg:

Gold/bronze color; reticent nose of resin and honey; cooked pears and some pineapple on the palate that is vinous, rich without being weighty, well balanced and spicy; medium length. The structure is all but hidden, the fruit ripe but restrained and the finish mouth-watering. A very nice rendition of a variety I seldom buy. Good accompaniment.

(This is not a vineyard I am familiar with – anybody have any info.?)

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com