• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Martini -- lightly mist with vermouth

Grub

Yeah, baby, now that's living -- have another Bacon Martini, why dontcha?

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "dirty martini." :wacko:

One of the commenters on that page may have been right--it probably would have been a little better with gin. The juniper might have cut through the fat better. :laugh:

Sorta semi-seriously ... I can't help thinking there is probably some way to make bacon work in the context of a mixed drink (paging Daniel, master of oink). But what they have here, probably ain't it. :smile:

Definitely needs to be made with gin, more vermouth, no tobasco, and a thicker slice of bacon that had been crisped to render all the fat out. Might work better as a martinez, italian vermouth is much more savory.

I made a bacon martini on thanksgiving. It was a wet plymouth martini with one big drop of bacon fat on top. It was wonderful. Should be garnished with a small sausage patty.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

I made a bacon martini on thanksgiving.  It was a wet plymouth martini with one big drop of bacon fat on top.  It was wonderful.  Should be garnished with a small sausage patty.

sausage patty or sausage link? I think a link would work better--at least it would be more aesthetic ":^)

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Bloody Mary with bacon. Skewered on a swizzle stick.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

I made a bacon martini on thanksgiving.  It was a wet plymouth martini with one big drop of bacon fat on top.  It was wonderful.  Should be garnished with a small sausage patty.

sausage patty or sausage link? I think a link would work better--at least it would be more aesthetic ":^)

Little sausage balls the size of olives, skewred on a plastic sword.

Yes it was. It wasn't overly porky. But the gin, vermouth and a whisper of swine goodness was lovely. Mind you it was thanksgiving, we had been cooking for over 24 hrs, and drinking for...well what happens at Alchemists house STAYS AT ALCHEMISTS HOUSE.

It was a happy mistake. We were rendering the fat from 5 pounds of bacon (we stuffed the turkey with apples, bacon fat and bacon that had been simmered in Apple Jack. F*%k stuffing proper) for the feast. Yes we used it all. One should never ask 7 bartenders, and 4 cocktails waitresses to your house unless you are ready to throw down.

Now that I've had a night to wrap my brain around the idea, it doesn't seem quite so strange, though the context in which you place it sure helped. (If we brine our turkeys in juniper berries and wrap them in bacon, then why not ... ?)

And you said the magic words, " a whisper of swine goodness" - I'd trust the lightness of your touch.