• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

5 minutes ago, BooBear said:

Can I substitute baking times & temperature from one cake recipe for another cake recipe's baking time and temperature? I'm trying to make cheesecake.

There's one way to find out!  

Why do you want to substitute?  Does the recipe you are making call for a time and temp that is very different from other recipes with the same pan size and similar ingredients?

Edited to add that most reliable baking recipes give times as guidelines and provide alternate "doneness" guides that are generally the more important thing to follow.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

3 minutes ago, BooBear said:

Can I substitute baking times & temperature from one cake recipe for another cake recipe's baking time and temperature? I'm trying to make cheesecake.

There's one way to find out!  

Why do you want to substitute?  Does the recipe you are making call for a time and temp that is very different from other recipes with the same pan size and similar ingredients?