• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with friends

Florida Jim

With endive stuffed with smoked trout spread:

2002 Dom. de Chantemerle (Boudin), Chablis Fourchaume:

Steely, citric and precise on the attack but rounds out at mid-palate with depth and nuance; lovely aromatics and a long, almost creamy finish. Not at peak but showing very well, indeed. About $26 on release; I’d buy it again for that price.

2004 Dom. Pepière, Muscadet:

More generous than the Briords of the same vintage but still plenty of cut across the lime and mineral flavor profile; endless finish. About $10; I’d buy it again at that price.

(Both of these wines matched the dish very well.)

With an assortment of grilled vegetables with aioli:

2004 Dom. Grand Veneur, Côtes du Rhône Villages:

As balanced a southern Rhône as I have had in some time; very clearly of its place with good complexity and sustain. An elegant and lovely, ‘little’ wine. Price unknown.

2002 Clos de la Roilette (Coudert), Fleurie:

So pure and concentrated but still carries it’s floral, red fruit and granite aromatics; depth, complexity, and a suppleness in the mouth that is charming. What a great wine! About $15 on release: I’d buy it again at that price or more.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com