• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Yorkers: put your money where your mouth is!

Fat Guy

[[ Chat 'n Chew! I never even thought about this, but I should have - it's great for cheap and cheerful. I've always found it a big hit with out-of-town guests, particularly those with kids. ]]

We were 3 fully grown people and we just loved it.

For dinner we went here and also loved it. I've been here several times over the years but not in a few years. I'll be back there SOON:

Zen Palate 663 Ninth Ave., (corner of 46th) 212-582-1669 http://www.zenpalate.com/ DELICIOUS AND WONDERFUL FOOD.

Off topic but I've got to throw it in. I just love this place. After half a day, my feet were killing me. Chinese slippers for $8 at this place saved the day. I wore them the rest of the day IN COMFORT!

Pearl River Mart www.pearlriver.com 477 Broadway (near Broome St.) 212-431-4770

To see how they look, go here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/marge201/63006...982177041645586

Would I walk around like that in Bergen County? I doubt it. NYC? DEFINITELY!!

Marge

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an irreformable pastaholic; and for me, the fresh, daily-made pastas of the reliable if decidedly untrendy Bravo Gianni's on East 63rd trump those made by anyone else in the city, and that includes Batali's. Particular favorites are Gianni's pansotti (stuffed with spinach and sauced with walnut sauce), meat ravioli, feather-light gnocchi, trenette and pappardelle. I'm an unapologetic regular, especially at lunch, when crowds are light and service if unhurried.

I recall one particular trip to the downstrairs men's room on a route which took me past a room where I spied Gianni contentedly cranking out reams of fresh noodles on a giant laundry wringer-sized pasta machine.

• 3 months later...