• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A New Appreciation For Fine Wine

djsexyb

:blink: wow, today marks the middle of the 2006 wedding deason for me. the past five weekends, ive been a guest or worked a wedding (I DJ, obviously) and i have five more weeks to go, being a guest at three more and working 4 more...anyway...

i have had more cheap, jug, crappy wine in the past few weeks than any year prior from woodbridge zin to many unpronouncable greek whites, roses, and reds. there was one rose that stood out, but that's kind of like choosing which garbage can smelled better...

however there was one wine the stood waaaaay out. d'Arenberg 2002 The Dead Arm Shiraz, although this shiraz was broke out way too late in the evening to be fully appreciated and was in such short supply that i received i miniscule tasting portion.

from what i could surmise, this was outstanding. so many aromatics and flavors flooding at you that i can hardly name them all...cedar, blackberry, blueberry, sweet fig, white pepper, a distinct liquorice note, as well as a minty eucalyptus note, carmel creme, the list goes on...i have to pick up a few bottles soon. very nice structure too, good for aging up to 15, 20 years. perhaps more. a further WTN will be issued when i get my shipment in.

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com

[...]

there was one rose that stood out, but that's kind of like choosing which garbage can smelled better...

[...]

Dude, that is so harsh!

Don't blame real rosés for Sutter Home's White Zinfandel sins.

It takes a real man (or woman) to admit they like pink wine in the face of scorn and derision from their peers!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

[...]

there was one rose that stood out, but that's kind of like choosing which garbage can smelled better...

[...]

Dude, that is so harsh!

Don't blame real rosés for Sutter Home's White Zinfandel sins.

It takes a real man (or woman) to admit they like pink wine in the face of scorn and derision from their peers!

:sad: oh no dont get the wrong idea. i love rosés and greek wines too. i have a deep appreciation for them, more than most people because i have alot of greek friends. all i was alluding to was that out the all the ones i tasted within the past few weeks none were more than unidimentional. and i can rattle of a laundry list of "pink wines" that i like, love, and are in my cellar right now.

Edited by djsexyb (log)

Grand Cru Productions

in Chicago, Illinois

felt bad so i made a quick list of what i can remember is in the cellar at home.

any one who has read my posts before knows i support bonny doon, lol.

2005 Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare - 6bottles

2004 Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare - 2btls

2005 Bonny Doon Big House Pink - 2 btls

2004 Bonny Doon DEWN Rosato Rofresco - 1 btl

2004 Swanson Rosato - 1 left

2003 Kir Yianni Akakies - 7 btls

2005 Chateau Calon Segur Rose de Calon - dont remember if there's any left

had a phelps rose that was memorable a few years ago. i like my pink

Grand Cru Productions

in Chicago, Illinois

LOL.

Well, no problem, there then.

I really like a good rosé.

It's funny, it was hot on Saturday here in SF and I thought a perfect day for a rosé. We were at a restaurant which specializes in souffles and were planning on having a savory seafood souffle as an entree. Again, seemed perfect for rosé. I asked the waiter if they had any, and he said, "No sir, the wine list is very French, as you can see."

I guess he thought I was hoping for a White Zinfandel not a Bandol.

Anyway, we ended up with a Sancerre, which was very good with the seafood souffle, in its own way.

If you get a chance, try the rosés from Navarro. Year after year, they're some of my perennial favorites.

Navarro Old Vine Cuvée

And that d'Arenberg ain't bad either.

:biggrin:

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Good luck picking it up, they only imported about 500 cases of it. I can imagine that it was broken out way too late in the evening, and like many Aussie Shirazs, it probably was not given enough time to open fully. I've had it after it was decanted for 6 hours and it still had room to open more. It is a wine that I would love to have in the cellar to drink sometime in the next 3 to 10 years. It should be great for at least that long.

Good luck picking it up, they only imported about 500 cases of it.  I can imagine that it was broken out way too late in the evening, and like many Aussie Shirazs, it probably was not given enough time to open fully.  I've had it after it was decanted for 6 hours and it still had room to open more.  It is a wine that I would love to have in the cellar to drink sometime in the next 3 to 10 years.  It should be great for at least that long.

yeah, deffinately didnt have enought time to develope. as i alluded this, i was in a party setting and i had but a minute to take a whiff before someone suggested chuging ( i was obviously not in the presence of other wine connaisseurs). the quality and complexity was easily taken away enough for me to write a glowing review and order a half case, though. you're right--i couldnt find many bottles, so i had to order 375mls, which is fine, i think only one (if that) will last past 5 years this was so nice. if i can find a 750 or 1.5, i would love to cellar it away though for 20-30.

Edited by djsexyb (log)

Grand Cru Productions

in Chicago, Illinois

You are lucky to find half bottles. I'd love to have been able to find those since they are perfect for when I'm opening one at dinner for just me (my wife often doesn't want any wine for some wierd reason.)

yes i am lucky to have a few binny's beverage depot in driving distance so i have a pretty good selection. but i often order from wine.com or other online wine shops (winebid.com winebuys.com thewinebuyer.com) and i know that wine.com currently stocks the 375mls. $34.99 if my memory serves me right.

Grand Cru Productions

in Chicago, Illinois