• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marilyn Monroe and the Naked Grape

Daniel Rogov

Flying Pigs, Old Farts and Naked Grapes

Daniel Rogov

Marilyn Merlot and the Naked Grape: Odd Wines From Around the World

Peter F. May

Quirk Books, Philadelphia

ISBN I-59474-099-2

As there are winemakers who dedicate their lives to the preparation of great wines, so there must be men and women who have an equal dedication to consuming those wines. In fact, one of the great charms of true wine lovers is that they exaggerate everything that involves their passion for the fermented juice of the grape. With the publication of Marilyn Merlot and the Naked Grape, Peter May plants himself firmly and permanently among the ranks of those men and women to whom wine and exaggeration walk comfortably hand in hand with such great charm.

The book is not so much as the sub-title claims about "odd wines from around the world" as it concerns itself with odd labels and odd names that have been given to wines. Reproduced beautifully, some of these labels are indeed hysterical and others simply give pause for thought. As to names, think if you will of wines called Arrogant Frog, The Ball Buster, Bearitage, Ceci N'est Pas un Carignan (This is Not Carignan), Cleavage Creek, Flying Pig and The Dog's Bollocks. As to labels, think of the title label, that of the 2001 Marilyn Merlot wine, with a photo of a Marilyn so innocent you could break into tears; the portrait of the truly curmudgeonly figure on the bottle of Old Fart Grenache-Syrah; or the portrait of a quite well padded tuxedo clad, white handkerchief in hand frog that adorns the label of Paddarotti.

And, when it comes to pure chutzpah, think of the wine called The Unpronounceable Grape (I suppose one should mention that the grape in question is the Hungarian Czerszegi Fuszeres); or White Trash White produced in Bakersfield, California. Nor should we forget Fat Bastard Chardonnay and the hippo that adorns its label. No less important, to add to the charm of the labels, the story of each is told and a casual tasting note including in nearly all cases the blend accompanies each as well.

Leaving wine aside for a moment, this delightful little book serves another purpose as well, demonstrating handily that books are indeed a far, far better thing than either cinematic or internet interpretations. Even though this book is built largely about Peter May's own well established internet site which can be found at http://www.winelabels.org/ , the book shows very nicely that there is are enormous intellectual and sensual differences between different forms of media. Books, like fine wine, have a touch, a heft, an aroma, a body. And more than that, there is something far more intimate, more endearing to leafing through the pages of a book than by merely hitting a "enter" button and moving on to another page as it pops up on one's screen. Simply stated, seeing or reading on an internet site leaves the thing you are reading a mere object, one that remains the property of someone else but holding a book in its hand as you caress its pages makes it and its contents your own.

Overall, an unmitigated delight from a man who knows very well that even the things we love most offer great opportunities for quiet laughter or even, on occasion, an out-and-out guffaw.

The book is available from Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...=UTF8

P.S. In the name of full disclosure, I know Peter May largely because he participates on my own wine discussion forum. Alas, although we have tried, we have never met and I have no interest whatever in his book other than as a reviewer.

Rogov, I thank you for bringing this book to our attention .. and certainly have to agree with your sentiments expressed here that there is something far more intimate, more endearing to leafing through the pages of a book than by merely hitting a "enter" button and moving on to another page as it pops up on one's screen.

My personal enjoyment of wine labels comes from a town where my daughter lives, Santa Cruz, California, which is well known for Bonny Doon Vineyards ... we had their owner do a Q & A here on eGullet: Randall Grahm speaks about his witty labels on his wines ... "Le Cigare Volant," "Cardinal Zin," "Muscat Vin de Glaciere" among others ...Bonny Doon website

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"