• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ditch Plains

weinoo

Well, maybe Bruni could have blogged about it...like Ed Levine did.

Or maybe it's about time the Times upped the $25 title?

I dunno, but I thought the whole premise of the $25 and under was that you could get 3 courses and get out for under $25.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I dunno, but I thought the whole premise of the $25 and under was that you could get 3 courses and get out for under $25.

The title "$25 and under" has been unchanged for many years. Clearly, with inflation taken into account, $25 doesn't go as far as it did when the column was launched. There have been many restaurants reviewed in that space where you wouldn't get a 3-course meal for under $25.

The title "$25 and under" has been unchanged for many years. Clearly, with inflation taken into account, $25 doesn't go as far as it did when the column was launched. There have been many restaurants reviewed in that space where you wouldn't get a 3-course meal for under $25.

Maybe that used to mean a 3-course meal for under $25, and now it means entrees under $25?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 1 month later...

According to the web site Eater , Ditch Plains has reduced their prices "A day late and potentially a dollar short, West Village newcomer Ditch Plains has finally reduced their prices. This is ostensibly the result of a sub-packed dining room and early and middling press, which took issue with what was perceived as an extremely low value proposition...Some key price slashings ('was' numbers are from day-one tasting menu):

Eggs Benedict: WAS $10/NOW $5

Bagel & Smoked Salmon: $17/$9

Fried Clam Strips: $15/$11

Chicken Pot Pie: $17/$12

Hamburger: $12/$9

Pie: $8/$5 "

• 2 months later...

I stopped in here for lunch/brunch on Saturday.

With the exception of the still overpriced mediocre Bloody Mary's, the pricing is now in keeping with the quality and nature of the food.

the burger is excellent.

the fried calamari as good as this dish can get...simply but lightly fried fresh calamari with an excellent tomato sauce robust with caramelized onions.

a nifty oyster shooter.

now why they couldn't have priced it appropriately from the get-go instead of trying to fleece people is unclear to me...

• 3 months later...

had a birthday dinner for my wife here last friday and had a really great experience. i have to say, i love this place and i know think (with reduced prices) that it is one of the better values, certainly on bedford street.

the service was very nice and accomodating, the food was perfectly delicious and casual for a raucous group of 8 drinking champagne. some of the highlights:

mussels bombed with bacon and rosemary

roasted oysters

sausage egg and cheese sandwich

a great night at what i would consider a great neighborhood place.

only problem--we had our choice of tables as a party of 8 at 8pm on a friday night...don't know if DP is gonna make it