• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BliS Maple Syrup

johnder

I have been trying to track down a source to purchase a bottle of BLiS Caviar's barrel aged maple syrup after trying it at Moto last week. It was really amazing. Their website is really bad, and says it is only available to select distributors, but calls to their number requesting more information has gone unreturned.

Anyone have a mail order source for this, or better yet a retail source in NYC?

Thanks,

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Why is this stuff so much better than regular pure Vermont or Canadian maple syrup? What does the barrel aging do for it exactly?

Incidentally, has anyone else had the Hickoryworks Shagbark syrup? I've been reaching for it a lot more often than my maple. It has a smokiness that lends itself well to a lot of savory foods.

http://www.hickoryworks.com/

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I had this at Moto last week in which a server came to the table with a steel plate that was dipped in liquid nitro was presented and the server squeezed out some liquified cooked pancake from a syringe onto the plate. After a quick flip it was served on a spoonful of BliS. It was amazing -- you can really taste the barrel aging on it, in this case it was bourbon.

The nose of the syrup really reflects the barrel aging.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Anyone have a mail order source for this, or better yet a retail source in NYC?
Why is this stuff so much better than regular pure Vermont or Canadian maple syrup? What does the barrel aging do for it exactly?

People used to ask why is the miles davis a much better horn player, the answer was you had to go see him live.

Get the syrup and taste it, It pretty much speaks for itself.

Johnder, I have been using the stuff for a long time, contact Tyler Gray at Mikuni mushrooms.

www.mikuniwildharvest.com

Even better than the maple syrup are the cured roes.

Try the Maple or sake cured steelhead roe.

cheers

I also had it here :

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=8611&st=420

Edited by Vadouvan (log)

Thanks Vadouvan, going to call them right now!

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Wow the folks at Mikuni are really nice. I ordered 2 bottles of BLiS from them, one of the bourbon barrel and one of the vanilla infused. I also couldn't resist and got a 4oz tin of the infused steelhead roe, bourbon / maple / smoked fleur de sel.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

It should be mentioned the producer of the maple syrup is Steve Stallard. Steve uses 18 year old whiskey barrels to infuse the syrup. He also makes one flavored with vanilla bean, as well as his assorted flavored roes.

Sorry many of you missed our maple syrup give away and the maple menu itself.

Here is a link for some fun maple ideas Maple Menu

-Alex

h. alexander talbot

chef and author

Levittown, PA

ideasinfood

• 8 months later...

I just got a bottle of this (via Wild Harvest) for Christmas and was searching eGullet to see what people had said about it. Looking forward to trying it.

I've had shagbark hickory syrup, though what I had was blended with something (maple syrup? corn syrup? I don't remember), so it was good but not as strong-tasting as it would otherwise have been. Undiluted birch syrup, on the other hand, is fantastic -- but it's also very thin compared to maple syrup, which you have to stay aware of when using it as a condiment (instead of "rolling" over my crumpet, it just soaked through the spot I poured it on).