• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sam Adams Double Bock

budrichard

I walked into my local MegaMart liquor store and saw about 10 cases of Sam Adams Double Bock sitting there. I asked the mnager to ring one up for me and he told me they were all for one person and that there was no more in the store. Well i ordered two cases and picked them up the next week. I am a fan of German DoppleBocks and Mai Bocks and didn't think that anywhere else in the world could brew such beers.

We blind tasted Sam Adams Double Bock with Spaten Optimater and Capital Brewing Blonde Double Bock. The Spaten is 7.2% alcohol and the Sam Adams a whopping 8.8%. It was close between the Sam Adams and the Spaten with the Sam Adams having the smoother taste but Sam Adams was judged the best. The Blonde was very smooth but missing the roasted flavor hence the Blonde Appellation. This is the first time i have seen a non German beer taste better than a German DoppleBock or Mai Bock in a blind tasting. -Dick

It's definitely a quality beer, and I have certainly enjoyed the ones that I have had from the mixed 12-packs lately. I had no idea that they were available by the case, perhaps this is a new development. Good news- thanks for the report budrichard.

Now I can only hope that the BBC will respond in the same way to the collective will of its Scotch Ale fans...

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

• 4 weeks later...

A few years ago, a good friend sent me a set of Sam Adams Triple Bocks (heh, a box of bocks). For two years, I slowly worked through the bottles, along with other beer connoseiur friends.

In the end, the most I could do was midly tolerate it. It tasted like a burned soy sauce. As much as I tried, I could not develop a taste for it. It did work okay in cooking.

Was I missing something?

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

A few years ago, a good friend sent me a set of Sam Adams Triple Bocks (heh, a box of bocks).

Was I missing something?

Yeah, the fact that Sam Adams Triple Bock and the Double Bock of this thread are two totally different beers. :cool:

Samuel Adams® Triple Bock® is the beer that truly started our odyssey into extreme brewing. Its deep, full flavor explodes with notes of maple, vanilla, oak and toffee. This flavor, along with its heavy, still mouthfeel has drawn comparisons to a vintage port, sherry and cognac. And Samuel Adams® Triple Bock® should be enjoyed in much the same way. We recommend serving it at room temperature in a snifter a few ounces at a time - one bottle should generously serve two to three. Its warming malt character and fruit esters make it an ideal after dinner aperitif.

One can not help but appreciate Samuel Adams® Double Bock's huge malt character. We use an enormous amount of malt, half a pound per bottle, to brew this intensely rich lager. Its deep brown-ruby color is all made in the kettle - no black malt is used, resulting in a rich sweetness that is free of the rough taste of burnt malt. All that remains is the velvet smooth flavor and mouthfeel of the two row malt. Samuel Adams® Double Bock's intense malt character is balanced with a subtle piney, citrus hop note from the German Noble hops.

(Copy/pasted from the extremely annoying Boston Beer website, where you have to give you age TWICE before entering- no minor would ever be clever enough to get through THAT!)

And the Triple Bock is/was almost universally considered a mess and a failure. Don't know what you mean by a "box" of them- they were only packaged singly in a 24 bottle case that I saw- but I bought a case on sale, with an additional "20% off any case of beer" discount coupon [much to the distress of the retailer] when it first came out, and I agree, it never did really get better with age altho' I didn't hate it quite as much as most people (who liked to compare it to "soy sauce").