• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cell Phone Intrusion

lizziee

My wife and I have talked about how to handle this as future restauranteurs and we've decided to find some pre-modern era phone booths like hotels and some restaurants used to have and encourage people with cell phones that they might appreciate the privacy of using one.

Already been thought of and implemented!

And hey, if the phone booth idea doesn't work (people STILL won't take the hint), how about a little creative decorating?

I am also wondering how cell phones interfere with preparing risotto? Enjoying, sure, but I don't think the extra heat (if any) would have a measurable effect.

What I've done on three occasions when the management refused to cooperate was to take my own cell phone to the mens' room, phone the restaurant, request that the person talking on his/her cellphone take my call and when they came to the phone to quite quietly disconnect. Revenge is soooo sweet.

My wife and I have talked about how to handle this as future restauranteurs and we've decided to find some pre-modern era phone booths like hotels and some restaurants used to have and encourage people with cell phones that they might appreciate the privacy of using one.

That's EXACTLY what the Harvard Club does. No cell phones in any of the public areas, and if you're seen on yours, they will usher you into the old phone room, where the booths remain.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

What I've done on three occasions when the management refused to cooperate was to take my own cell phone to the mens' room, phone the restaurant, request that the person talking on his/her cellphone take my call and when they came to the phone to quite quietly disconnect.  Revenge is soooo sweet.

Next time, tell them they should order a nice can of STFU. :wink:

God forbid it's the person you're dining out with who's talking on his or her mobile.

This is my usual course of action:

1st call received - Playful verbal ticking-off

2nd call - ticking off beginning with "duuuuuude, I'm serious......"

3rd strike - YOU'RE OUT! As they begin yapping into the phone I indicate that I'm going to the toilet. Then I walk out of the restaurant, then call from a bar on the other side of town about twenty minutes later.

I've only had to implement step 3 twice so far.

I'd be very interested in hearing from people who think it's perfectly fine to yak loudly on their cell phones in restaurants, and from managers who don't think it's their job to do anything about it.

Yeah, it happened to me once: New spouse of a friend, fancy restaurant, he pulls out the cell phone and starts a conversation. I think that if he'd stood up at the table and dropped trou, he'd have gotten the same horrified response from everyone in the room.

Thank God he put it away before the manager could get to the table.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office