• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb/Goat

Sandra,

Several friends swear by my grilled lamb chops. Amongst them are some food writers, critics and food industry people. My tandoor has an overload when I make these. People that would eat simply 2-3 or maybe 4 of small restaurant size chops, end up eating 4-6 or more large lamb chops at parties at this home.

Grilled lamb chops are amazing. They are also easy to make. I have never made them in the oven. But do make them in the tandoor all the time. And they are responsible in part for my getting some of the recognition I have recieved as an Indian caterer.

If you can wait for my cook book to come out, you will find in it several recipes for lamb dishes that are exteremely falvorful, complex, easy to prepare and yet very light in fat. They are Indian home style preparations and I have changed little if any of their character.

I will dig up my notes and see if I have a close to precise recipe for my grilled lamb chops. Will post it in the next day or so.

When you do cook, please share with us what you made. I enjoyed your post on Rabri. It was enlightening and exciting. I felt I had eaten your Rabri. I still have fond memories of your making it. Thanks for having shared that experience online.

• 10 months later...

Kashmiri Rogan Josh (Lamb Cooked Kashmiri style)

* 2 lbs. lamb, cut into 2 inch cubes

* 6 oz. ghee (clarified butter)

* 1 tsp. sonth (ginger powder)

* 1 tbsp. saunf (fennel seeds)

* 2 cinnamon sticks

* 6 garlic cloves, minced finely

* 1 tbsp. kashmiri mirch (kashmiri red pepper powder or cayenne)

* 1 tsp. shahi zeera (black cumin seeds)

* 6 cardamoms

* 6 cloves

* 1 tej patta (bay leaf)

* 1 tsp. zaafraan (saffron), gently toasted and ground

* 1 cup dahee (yogurt)

* 1 tsp heeng (asafoetida)

* salt to taste

Clean, wash and remove all fat from the lamb and set aside.

Grind together all the spices in a mortar and pestle or a coffee grinder.

Soak saffron in the yogurt and set aside.

Heat ghee and add the heeng into it and cook for a few seconds.

Add the lamb to this and sear on all sides, frying until well browned.

Pour the saffron yogurt mix and fry until all liquid is absorbed.

Add a cup and a half of water and the ground spices.

Bring the contents of the pan a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until tender.

Uncover and cook until excess liquid is evaporated.

• 4 months later...

My favorite lamb dish is a Lanb Shahi Korma at a restaraunt here (Seattle) called Savoy (the only Indian place I've found in this town that I like). It's incredibly rich, creamy and spicy with really wonderful nutty base and the sweet notes added from raisins. I would love to learn to make this myself in a way that really captures the depth and complexity of flavor in this dish.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

Syrian Lamb. That was among the top favorites at the recent egullet dinner at Indique in Washington DC.

I loved it. It was a dark, punjabi style, bhunaa gosht with south Indian flavors, curry leaves etc and thick slightly toasted slices of coconut. It did appear to have been made a day ahead and reheated for us but that only deepened the flavors. I am going to ask for the reciepe and also what is the concept of Syrian Lamb on an Indian menu. Will keep you posted.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Well, there is one goat dish that I would like to not remember.

My first attempt to make a spit roasted whole goat was a complete disaster, I had to order food from a restaurant, my whisky was confiscated and I had to suffer a gauntlet of sneers.

Moral: Never attempt anything ambitious in front of a crowd.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

• 1 month later...
Syrian Lamb. That was among the top favorites at the recent egullet dinner at Indique in Washington DC.

I loved it. It was a dark, punjabi style, bhunaa gosht with south Indian flavors, curry leaves etc and thick slightly toasted slices of coconut. It did appear to have been made a day ahead and reheated for us but that only deepened the flavors. I am going to ask for the reciepe and also what is the concept of Syrian Lamb on an Indian menu. Will keep you posted.

Bhasin,

Any luck getting the recipe? That Syrian Lamb was incredible.

Chris Sadler

...... or a mutton and potato curry.

Great Mutton & Potato curries can be had in Carribean. Mostly a variations from the mother country by the generations of indians who have subtly changed the spices and cooking methods. Jamaicans,Trinidadians,Guyanese. The good news i -- All can be had in NYC - Bad news is that one has to travel the outer boroughs to find these gems :wink:

anil

syrian as in syrian christian? seeing as you say it had south indian flavors--perhaps it is originally a kerala dish. i can't imagine, however, that the original--regardless of where in india it is from, if anywhere--would be made with lamb and not goat.

Lamb Vindaloo

This was given to me by a Parsi friend. I have never made it but have it in my notes.

1 1/4 lbs. lamb cut into 1 inch cubes...

Dear Suvir,

Thank you for the recipes!

My first real introduction to Indian food was at Sue's Kitchen in Mountain View, CA. (Silicon Valley--which has tons of excellent Indian restaurants) Had Lamb Vindaloo the first time, and then proceeded to order it 10 or 12 times more before I could even begin to start tasting other things on the menu! (which are all excellent). I will definately try the vindaloo recipe you generously passed along.

One of my other favorite lamb preparations are grilled or broiled lamb chops--including Greek versions with lemon, pepper and oregano. Hmmm, a classic preparation along which one must have roasted or grilled potatoes AND a luscious Pinot Noir, Zinfandel or Merlot. One reason I love cooking or ordering lamb chops is that they are so wonderful an accompaniement to good red wine.

Haven't tasted to much goat; but have had a good goat stew in a Carribean restaurant with a roti style bread.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"