• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Petit Chateau

PicnicChef

I'm a big fan of Le Petit Chateau in Bernardsville. Great service, great wine list (huge, huge wine list) and a great chef. While some of Chef Cutaneo's entrees are a little rich and over the top for my palate, I've had some great meals here. Anybody want to chime in?

I have only been there once, and had a very GOOD meal. But the prices don't seem to be in context with the food and unless the wine list has been largely over hauled, there were not many, if any, selections under $120.00. The wine list however is indeed fantastic except for that one over sight.

Undoubtedly a good restaurant, if only a little old school. Le Petit Chateau was one of my first ever high-end meals. I wonder, however, if they get enough local business. The couple of time I've been it hasn't been all that crowded. This harkens back to the best fine dining town in NJ thread that's causing quite the little bit of controversy. A good to very good restaurant, in an affluent area that sometimes doesn't garner as much praise and business as it should, at least comapred to such big names like Ryland Inn, Saddle River Inn, Nicholas, etc. I wonder why this is (high prices, somewhat obscure location, etc)?

I'm a big fan of Le Petit Chateau in Bernardsville. Great service, great wine list (huge, huge wine list) and a great chef. While some of Chef Cutaneo's entrees are a little rich and over the top for my palate, I've had some great meals here. Anybody want to chime in?

Sounds good. What did you eat and how would you say it compares to the Bernards Inn, a place I love to eat.

Lori

Sounds good. What did you eat and how would you say it compares to the Bernards Inn, a place I love to eat.

Their duck confit was exceptional, their seared foie gras just wonderful, crab and tart apple salad was terrific.

It sounds great so I'll chime in with my usual question since I hate to be bothered to open up another "window" to look... do they have an address, online menu, website? Thanks! It sounds delicious how far is it from here? (near Emerson or Picnic, your store Christine?) Thanks.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

How would you compare this place with Pluckemin Inn, about 10 minutes away, which constantly gets raves from all who have been there?

Haven't been to compare. As I say, I think Scott (the chef) does not get the credit he often deserves. Overshadowed for french cuisine by the Ryland Inn...

I'm from Bernardsville, and my father used to take me to Le Petite Chateau when I was a girl. It's been around a long time and, frankly, I cannot see why. My husband and I ate there about six months ago. The service was abysmal, the dining room overcrowded and very noisy, and our bill was close to $200. I don't mind paying big bucks for a wonderful meal, but I really resent paying that kind of money for a mediocre meal and a lousy experience. We'll never go back. And it's a shame - I have wonderful memories of eating there with my Dad.